Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 freezes at end of job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
My arcserve job freezes at the end of the job. It does everything
elso ok (some 2000 servers, exchange) then
stays on for hours backing up this file:

C:\program files\ComputerAssociates\Arcserve\TEMP\C1D.CAT

0.0 MB/minute

:(

any suggestions ?

Do you need the file? I usually don't back up anything that's in a temp directory.

Try modifying your job and drilling down to this file in the source tab. If it's marked for backup, deselect it. If this doesn't work you could try using a filter to exclude all directories called TEMP.

I think I had the same problem. Have you chosen to backup System State on the local machine? CA has made a patch for this - check their website support.ca.com for something about "system state", you should be able to find it!

Good luck,
Nicolaj

This file is created as a result of the backup.
It is the catalog file of what was backed up in this session.
The job is not frozen, it is merging the catalog file into the database.
Use the task manager, and look at the running processes.
You will see mergecat.exe, it is merging the cat file into the Arcserve database.
Do not delete the file, do not stop the job, just let it finish. Otherwise, you will not be able to view these files for restore.
Depending on how many files you backup, this merge can take minutes or hours.
If you have a corrupted Arcserve database, this process can hang. the Arcserve DB gets corrupted when the drive hosting it fills up. Clearing space on the drive does not fix the broken DB. You must use the TECHDOC from support.cai.com to fix the DB when this happens.
See The Arcserve FAQs in this forum on avoiding trouble...
The best policy with Arcserve is to READ THE TECHDOCS CA WRITES...

Not all techdocs have been updated for Arcserve 2000, so read the 6.61 techdocs as well...
Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

WARNING!!!!
The patch referenced by DRLANDAU is for ASO only!!!! do NOT apply this patch to Arcserve ADVANCED or WORKGROUP!!!

Check the advice I gave you unless you are indeed running Advanced Storage Option for Unicenter TNG!
Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back