Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 E3406 Unable to Read File ..... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pateld

Programmer
Sep 30, 2008
US
We have Arc 2000 sp3 running on a DC with a DLT. It backs up an Exchange Server 2000 at night. The Exchange backup works, but the log reports the following errors. We have loaded File Sharing for Macs and need it, is the problem below a real problem.

The backup of this server is selected through the Network option within the Arcserve Backup routine, not via an NT Client.

David.

E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\ICON?, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\MS UAM Installer, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\ReadMe.UAM, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\MS UAM for AppleShare 3.6, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\MS UAM for AppleShare 3.6\AppleShare Folder, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\MS UAM for AppleShare 3.6\AppleShare Folder\MS UAM, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\MS UAM for AppleShare 3.8, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)
E3406 Unable to read file. (FILE=\\MAILHOST\C$\Microsoft UAM Volume\MS UAM for AppleShare 3.8\AppleShare Folder, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)

open file agent u mean?

i use baof so that is a yes. it is just the uam shares that can't backup.

I have the same problem:
W3404 Unable to open file. (FILE=C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_628.dat, EC=SHARING VIOLATION)

I have the Open File Agent with SP4. Is anyone know how to resolve my problem?

Thanks

Hi,

Set the Arcserve Job Engine service to be started with the ARcserve System Account.
On Backup Global Options, select the Retry tab and then:
"Use Lock Mode if Deny Write Fails"

Thanks,
baba Baba says...
"Known is a drop, unknown is a ocean"

make sure you are running arcserve sp4..

thanks,
baba Baba says...
"Known is a drop, unknown is a ocean"

This is what I found about some of the file's on which it error's out -

The %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files are created by the System Monitor. When you shutdown normally, the file should be deleted.

If you have an abormal shutdown, these files can become orphaned, and accumulate on your computer.

Under some yet to be determined circumstances, these files can become orphaned during normal operation.

The best way to remove these files is to add a command in a logon script:

del /q %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdata*.dat

Hope this helps,

DatabaseBaba

thank you very much for your info

Not all the files are orphaned. The MS article refers to an accumlation of the Perflib_perfdata*.dat files. The system will only allow you to delete the files it is currently not using. The system will not allow us to delete certain ones and those happen to be the files that ARCserve can not backup. BTW, we started having this particular problem once we installed SP4. SP3 didn't give us this problem.

1. I'm using SP4 but still have this problem
2. The orphan file is if you have more than one Perflib...dat files. If you have only one, then the file is being used by SNMP service. Try to stop SNMP service, this file will disapear.

My temporary solution is to stop the SNMP service during backup.

I had this problem. I used the filter to filter out files of type %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdata*.dat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back