Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 database

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvie99

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
DE
I have problems with the Arcserve server. There is not enough place to save the database.
Is it possible to save the database on another server?
Last night, I got several errors:

E4010 The disk is almost full.
E4109 Unable to add session record. (EC=** available disk space below minimum threshold [-900] (RUNTIME\FILLNEW.C:44 - RUNTIME\FILLNEW.C:44))
W3502 Unable to add session to database. (EC=-900)
N3504 Unable to add file to database. (FILE=, EC=-1)
E4110 Unable to update session record. (EC=Error Code = -2009)

To change the location of the database it is necessary to reinstall ARCserve to that new location.
Copy the database directory to a temporary location.
Delete the r*.* files
Reinstall to the new location
Copy the database from the temporary location to the new install location.
The "r" files will be automaticaly recreated. For details on what the "r" files are see faq478-3985.

Do you run your database maintenance on a regular basis? This might shrink your database size and keep it nice and clean. (this usually takes a couple of hour for me each time I run it)

!!! this is for ArcServ2000 on win2000 server!!!

Dbfix (Perform this on a biweekly basis) - Dbfix will check each entry in the database for corruption and repair any errors found in the database. This can be run from the Command Prompt, in the ARCserve directory, using the

syntax: dbfix -a -L arcserve;admin;secret DBNAME

where DBNAME is the name of the database that you want to repair (i.e. asjob, asmedia, asobject, asrhost, astape, astpdrv, and astpsdat). As dbfix runs, the status of the operations should be displayed on the screen, ending with a final summary of the repair process.
Dbdefrag (Run this utility only if you decreased pruning time and you want to make sure that you have as much free space as the largest database file) - The dbdefrag followed by keybuild utility can be used to compress a database after running a prune job, and it can also repair corruption caused by broken links. Within the VLDB entries that are linked, ( i.e. A->B->C->...), if a link is corrupted or destroyed, the VLDB will no longer be able to access data.Running a dbdefrag may remove these broken links and thus allow the VLDB to access this data
* PLEASE NOTE* The dbdefrag utility should only be run after a prune job has run and removed records
(if there are no records marked as deleted, the defrag will have nothing to do).
The VLDB defrag utility can be run from the Command Prompt, in the ARCserve directory, using the

syntax: dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret DBNAME

where DBNAME is the name of the database that you want to defrag (i.e. asjob, asmedia, asobject, asrhost, astape, astpdrv, and astpsdat).

Sylvie99,

As a suggestion, do you run a cleanup regularily to delete the log files and remove entires (i.e., "prune" the DB) from the database? If you don't clean out the log files they will eat you alive very shortly, and since they reside under the program files area, they wipe out your C: drive space if this is where you installed them originally.

DavidMichel,

A question, as this would greatly help my situation also. When does the ARCserve install give you a chance to put the whole thing on somewhere besides the C: drive? This would solve the entire problem, as the install on my current system is under the program files on my C: drive, and the idiot the built my systems originally only provided a minimum driv capacity for the C: drive, which requires me to purge the ARCserve database regularily to keep it cmall enough to run and not crash the drive and OS.

Can you just unstall the application (leaving the CA_Lic directory alone) and then re-install? Does the CA_LIC directory get created on the same drive as the application, or should you make a copy of this directory on the new drive first?

Thanks for the advice,

David

It has been some time since I did a ARCserve 2000 install and so I can not tell you exactly were. If you really need it let me know and I'll dig out my cd and check it out.

Uninstall does not do anything with the licensing, so you can uninstall and reinstall and will not have to bother relicening it.

How big is the database? If you want it on another drive then I would re-install arcserve. But if you want to you can clear out the data from the database and in that case you won't have to re-install it.
Cheers
GSC

sylvie99,

Sorry, I did not mean to sidetrack your question.

Did you get the answers you needed? If I read the responses correctly, it appears that the database will reside on the drive where you installed the ARCserve application, so to move it you need to de-install it and then re-install on a bigger drive space. From my own experience, it is advisable to move it off the C: drive so it does not steal the drive space from the OS, and to set up the database pruning so it doesn't just continue to grow unchecked. You also need to reguarly clean up the log files so they do not eat you out of drive space too.

HTH

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back