Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 database problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

halienator

Technical User
May 19, 2003
I am running ArcServe 2000 on a Windows 2000 server with an HP C1537A drive. I am running into a problem with the database continually shutting down. It appears as though everything is fine until the database gets backed up then I get numerous errors stating -

[CAT] Failed to login to ArcserveIT database.(EC=-2005)

I have gone through the steps of deleting all the r*.* files in the database folder. I have also been on the phone with Computer Associates to ensure my license is installed correctly and it was.

Does anyone know what might be causing this to happen? Thanks,

Eric

I had precisely this problem on one of my servers, and tore my hair out for weeks before I got it to work. What I finally ended up doing was completely removing the ArcServe software - a complete uninstall and then a manual removal of all ArcServe directories - and then completely reinstalled it using the same logon account that I was using for backup. For some reason, that worked. I still don't understand why - that was the same account I'd used in the first place - but the uninstall/reinstall worked. Make sure you update it to the latest service pack, too.

Thanks for the advice. I changed the user accounts within Arcserve. Now it appears to be functioning correctly.

Thanks for getting rid of my headache.

[thumbsup2][medal]

I am having the same problem, the dbagent account password had been changed and now the database engine stops at the end of a backup without updating. Where did you change the user accounts within Arcserve? I updated the server admin account from Arcserver Server Admin but that did not fix it. I changed the dbagent service account password to match bu still can't log on to the database.

Thanks.

The accounts you stated are the accounts that I changed to make mine work. If there isn't some sort of authentication error, I suspect possibly a licensing issue.

One possible problem is that Arcserve recommends you use a different account for creating a backup then that of administrator. When i spoke with tech support about a simialr situation they said that ther are soem issues with the administrator account being utilized as the backup account as well. The changes made to the server in question at the time did result in a completion of the job where as before i was having problems with the job no matter what i was doing when logged in as Administrator.

Olepi

I guess I gave praise too soon. My problem is back. In response to the last post, none of my backup jobs use the administrator logon.

I am back at square one ... does anyone else have any ideas???

I was having the same problems last week and running dbfix worked for me.

Colleen Lane
Milton Public Library

You can try to initialize the database and see if that fixes the problem.

Q: How do I clear my ARCserve VLDB of records? I would like to initialize it, but don't know how.

A: Go into the ARCserve Server Admin: Start > Programs > ARCserve > ARCserve Server Admin. Highlight the Database Engine tab and from the Operation menu select Initialize Database. You can either initialize all of the databases or separate parts of it. REMEMBER! Initializing your database will clear ALL rotation job information, as well as all of your session information.

also check for any patches that may be of use to you?

sorry i can't give you more direct of an answer right now i'm at work and all so i have to browse quikcly to offer some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back