Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 crashes whole server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfair

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
I am running win2k with SP2 and Arcserve 2000 SP4. I have seen the Arcserve manager disappear without any message- it's there one minute, gone the next. I can open the manager again, and all the jobs are still running. Now the situation is worse. Half an hour into the backup job, the whole server locks up and has to be hard rebooted. The arcserve manager has the jobs listed as active in the job status, but the tape drive is obviously idle and the jobs cannot be stopped or deleted. Arcserve is the only application running when the crashes occur and if the backup does not run, the server does not crash. I do not have the agent for open files installed, I don't own it. Any ideas?

Yes, appl ythe patch on ca's website that addresses this issue. It'll be the patch at the top of the list. this will solve the arcserve manager crash, now to the server crash. Please make sure your not running any NT drivers in win2k, simply disable all storage devices (except the SCSI card) and try it then. Make sure the SCSI cables are connected correctly, make sure the SCSI card is certified, update the firmware of the SCSI card, and other usual SCSI troubleshooting tips.

Server freezing usually relates to an issue with SCSI. anyway, if I can be of any further assistance, then let me know how it goes :)

Oh and the patch is....QO22616.CAZ

g

Thanks for the info. I applied the patch and another one related to the job status manager that releases the job after a crash. I still can't get a good backup, but it's more than just Arcserve, I think. Oh well, at least it didn't crash.

Still crashing when trying to do two backup jobs simultaneously to the Cybernetics dual Mammoth II changer. All devices are disabled in Win2K, RSM is OFF. Adaptec 29160 drivers are up to date.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back