Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 Client Agent Slow ......... !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eellis

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2001
CA
We have installed Arcserve 2000 Enterprise Edition (Version 7.0 build 1086) with the client agent that was shipped with the product Version 7.0 build 1037 and are now experiencing extremely slow response when backing up over the network using the client agent.

The previous version Arcserve Enterprise edition – 6.61 No Problem in backing up with Arcserve 6.61 client agent.

These are some of the stats we are seeing when backing up.

Average Throughput............ 17.41 MB/min – Client agent – Arcserve 2000

Average Throughput............ 12.01 MB/min – Network (No Arcserve 2000 client)

Average Throughput............ 136.66 MB/min – Client Agent Arcserve 6.61

2 net cards – running full duplex 100 mb – manual setting

OS – NT 4.0 SP 6A

Dell 4300 – 2 Gig Ram.

Is there a difference in the way Arcserve 2000 interacts with the nic cards ??

All ideas welcome !!!

I had the same problem time ago.
Now my servers nic cards are setting as follow and works fine:
Windows NT Servers: Auto
Windows 2000 Servers: 100/Full
(Both sides, switch port and server nic)

We've had the same issues. Apply SP3 to ARCserve. You may also try setting your AV software to not scan on read or change access. Though these are recommended by CA, they didn't help us much. It was suggested to me that the upgrade process didn't fully update all dll's, so a complete removal and fresh installation of the 2000 version was recommended. In order to do this I requested full-product IDs on each component rather than simply the upgrade version IDs (I've had problems with getting the licensing to work in the past.) After a clean install, my speeds are up by about 25% over the upgrade, but still down by 25-30% from the 6.61 version. I wish you the best!

I had this same problem and it almost drove me crazy. I tried everything including duplex/speed settings and even replacing the switch to which all the servers were connected.

This was my solution: The problem turned out to be with the Backup Agent for Open Files (BAOF) that was running on my remote servers instead of any "networking" solution. Make sure you have applied the following patch: Qo10908.caz if you are running the BAOF. It's simply the OFANT.sys file for winnt\system32\drivers. A reboot is required.

John

Thanks snorkel for the BAOF tip. After initial improvement following the fresh installation, we had major drops in performance (no more than 50 MB/min.) I've applied the patch and performance seems improved once again. We'll see how it goes from here. Thanks!

brewii

got to server that the agent is installed, open regedit go to Hkey_Localmachine\software\ComputerAssociates\ArcserveIt\clientagent\parameters\

locate value SetWSSendBuffSize set this value to 1000 hex or 4096 dec. Stop and Start the agent service.
This should increase your performance considerably.

We found that we had to make sure we were running full duplex on both the network switch and NIC card. When they were set to manual we had issues with slowness....

HI,

To add to all the fantastic updates..
If you have multiple NICs on the client machine.
you can specify the IP ARCserve should use from the CLient agent admin on the Client machine..
this should increase throughput ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back