Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 CAT file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwpbwt1

MIS
Jul 23, 2003
US
On one member server in my SAN, I get the following error in the Arcserve.log.
[CAT] Ignored \\<server>\D: due to invalid lenth (p=13, F=41)

Of course, nothing is on CA's web site.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
John

Are there any *.cat files left in the ARCserve temp directory after the backup is finished and the database is updated ??

regards

Cyklops -- I have had this problem, too. What is the significance of files in the temp folder? I don't know if I had any, but I might have. This Arcserve backup db is huge -- 15 gb or so.

Thanks

Durring a backup the backup history to a *.tmp file. At the end of the session it is changed to *.cat and written to the tape at the end of the session. After the job all cat files are merged into the Database. If there are no jobs running and there are tmp files remaining in the ARCserve\temp folder delete them. If there are any remaining cat files try running mergecat.exe to merge them in.

15gb is rather large for a VLDB database but I am not sure it is related to the message in the activity log.

Hi
database issues should effect the backup at all, because merge CAT files from temp folder is done at the end of the backup.

jwpbwt1 : If this the only err you are getting

regards,
mohamdr

Nope... No TMP files are left over, Support at CA has NO CLUE, and I even went as far as to install a new (blank) DB. This did not solve the problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank You

Called CA AGAIN, and their suggestion was to turn off AV software (on a friday night). UNBELIEVABLE.

PS the server has always been running AV all the time, as well as Arcserve.

any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

It might be helpful to find out the bounderies of the problem. For instance is it target related?
Check the log to see if it only happens with this one target.
How long is the path?
Doesn't windows have a 256 character length limitation. Perhaps the path to this data is longer.
If this is with the Client Agent try a test backup of just this data without the agent.
These steps should help identify just what the problem is.

The path is well under the 256 char. limit.
There are no client agents installed it is on a backup of the local machine to a SAN device.

Does &quot;local machine&quot; = the ARCserve server?
Or a machine local to the SAN?
The reason for the question is that a local backup does not list the server name as part of the path.

Sorry,
Local machine = member server in SAN, and the job is a full backup of the machine. This is teh only server that this particular job backs up

It was not specified, is it just an issue of this message showing up, or is there some data that is not getting backed up?

FYI,
CA said, and I have proven, that this is just a mis-report of an error. The backups are not affected. Restores are not compromised.
They have a test fix available, but I am not a beta tester for them. Especially on a production server.

Unbelieveable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back