Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCSERVE 2000 BRICKLEVEL RESTORE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapem

Technical User
Nov 30, 2003
GB
How do you get to restore a mail box folder with the contents to the origanal location. We are using Arcserve 2000 backing up the exchange 2000 brick level. This is done using the agent for windows 2000.
We seem to be able to backup the folders ect, and the restore looks OK when in progress. But when you go to the folder you were doing a test restore of. It's empty. The only way we have found around this is to delete the folde and recreate it agin then do the restore. If this is the case then a disaster restore would be a nightmare!!
Also can you restore individual emails in a bricklevel restore or is it only a case of all or nothing?

Did you follow the steps in the manual?

If you need to restore Exchange back and plan on doing it via the Bricks Level back then you will have a nightmare. You need to do the full backup and then use Bricks Level just to recover individual mailboxes.

I'm not 100% sure but I do not think that this older version had the capability to support individual message restores.

You are right davidmichel, ARCserver 2000 cannot restore individual mails. I restore the mailbox to a "restore" mailbox and get the mails from there.

ARCserve 2000 can backup and restore at the folder level (inbox, outbox, etc). BrightStor ARCserve Bckup 11 has a premium exchange agent that backs up at the folder level, but can restore individual mail items.

When restoring to an existing mailbox I have found it best to select always overwrite in the database agent options. This is accessed through the source screen of the restore job (I forget the exact level to right click, but I believe it is the brick level icon). Default is to overwrite if mail is newer than what is there. The problem I have seen is that AS2000 does not consider a mail item to be newer if there is nothing to compare it to. In other words, message A is not newer than old message A since it was never there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back