Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 Brick Level Restore Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
US
Arcserve 2000 SP4 running on Win2K SP2 - backing up a Win2k SP2 server running Exch5.5 SP4, Arcserve Exchange agent is installed, SP4 for Arcserve applied and patch QO22840.

I recently had a corrupted PRIV.EDB and was unable to restore - forgot to check it in the backup [mad]

I have been doing a brick level restore of the entire information store but none of the calendar data or contact email addresses are restoring. I am able to pull the individual raw files off the tape using a different tool and view them with a hex editor, does anyone know of a tool or any way to use the MESSAGE file that is written to the tape by the Arcserve exchange agent to get the calendar information back?

Thanks.

have you tried reinstalling your mail client? or at very least re-create the MAPI profile for the client.

done a quick search for this problem, not found anything....yet.

No Pain No Gain

varuna,

i have unistalled arcserve and the agent and reinstalled'em.
going to run a job tonight and see how it comes out on monday.
cheers for all ur input, much appreciated.
keep it coming though, problem not solved yet.

talk later

Hi There

I too get the same error as "arcserve2000" & I am getting this message while running ARCServe 2000 w/the ARCServe 2000 exchange backup agent on exchange 5.5. I keep getting this message "e8602 FAILED TO READ FROM DATABASE (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\(user mailbox)\(mailbox), EC=BACKUP AGENT ERROR --(69) "Read/Write error in named pipes.").
Arcserve2000 + exch agent(ARC2000 exch agent) was running perfectly on WinNT without any problem.Ever since we upgraded the server to win2k,backup never completes & somewhere it stops during the brick level.

Please help as I have tried all the patches that ARC serve suggested.
Please help !

Cheers
PPRS

Hi All/Varuna,

I have been noticing that my arcserve 2000 (SP4) on W2k (SP3), with E2K (SP3) bricklevel backup does not work when I try to restore any mailbox, but the same works when I backup M:Exchange, As per microsoft I am not suppose to backup or scan this M: drive, as it may corrupt the Exchange Database. Pls, tell me more about Ontrack Power tools?
I am still not sure as to what is to be backed up in Exchange and how?
Pls, reply

Thanks,

well i have never used the Ontrack tools, but from what I have heard they are pretty powerful and will do what you need.

Also, I don't use Arcserve to backup ex 2000, i did use it for 5.5 but that was a long time ago...

You can use the Windows 2000 Backup to backup your exchange server, but it will not allow you to backup/restore brick level. (if you need to restore then it's the whole shabang)

If you need brick level then you have to fix the probs with the arcserve agent! or use the Ontrack stuff.

If using the agent is causing you problems that are stopping you from backing up your exchange then you have to sort something fast, and sacrificing brick level is ok if you ask me (or anyone else who has tackled exchange in a disaster situation)

the backup is quite simple and can be scripted/scheduled etc.

Let me know if this helps

No Pain No Gain

v simple gui to work through -

click on start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Backup

select your exchange objects and schedule it etc, you can configure your tape drive to work with Windows if it isn't already, or you can backup to a file then backup the file using Arcserve.

hope this helps, there are lots of articles on backup in windows on the microsoft knowledge base.

v

No Pain No Gain

I like the Ontrack PowerControls quite a bit, with it you can drill down through a backup of the PRIV.EDB (done offline of course) and pull information out to a PST file. You can also point the tool at an online backup on a tape (done with NT backup) and it will do the same.

I haven't tried it yet with an ArcServe 2000 online backup, but it claims to be able to recognize and extract data from them as well.

My past backups used to consist of an online IS backup followed by a brick-level, now that I have PowerControls I skip the brick level and just do an online IS backup with Arcserve followed by an online IS backup with NT backup - this has cut my email backup window by nearly 8 hours.

Once I test and make sure that PowerControls can handle an ArcServe online backup I will be knocking another 4 -5 hours off the backup.

good stuff that,

at the moment we don't do any brick level backup - have been toying with the idea of Ontrack tools, but have already purchased the arcserve 9 agent for exchange, just waiting to finish learning exchange 2k before i jump in!

No Pain No Gain

varuna,
OnTrack PowerControls is only for a brick level restore only if you want to do an online backup for Exchange information Store you still require arcserve 9 agent for exchange..

regards,
mohamdr

but if i can restore my exchange using the online backup done by Windows then i don't really need the agent do i?

but if need be i could restore brick level objects using ontrack.

2497 wasn't allowed to be taken out of groups

0161 763 2097

No Pain No Gain

ha ha ha

please ignore the extra info at the end of my last post, i was using the text box to quickly jot down the notes of a conversation and forgot to take them off!!!

No Pain No Gain

Clarification -

PowerControls can show the contents of a PRIV.EDB that was backed up OFFLINE or from a tape containing an ONLINE backup done with NTBACKUP. However you cannot do a true brick-level restore with PowerControls, you would have to export all the individual mailbox data to a PST and then merge that PST back into the IS using an Outlook client. This is OK for the occasional 1 or 2 mailboxes but VERY time consuming for doing a large number.

Secondly, you don't necessarily need any agent to do an ONLINE backup of Exchange, provided you use NTBACKUP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back