Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe 2000 and Exchange Agent Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastmustang

Technical User
Sep 10, 2002
US
I'm using win2k server sp2 with arcserve 2000 exchange agent sp4. ArcServe 2000 and the tape drive are on a different server as I'm backing up over the LAN. The problem is I can backup brick level but not full "Microsoft Exchange Server". When selecting the excahnge server either through client agent or through network, the job fails with no errors and states that 0kb were to be backed up. This is really confusing me and annoying.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem - my setup is the same. I was trying to back up the Information Store, but getting Error 3150 - Session credential conflict.

I logged on the backup server using my ARCserve admin account rather than my normal login and created and submitted a job to back up the Information Store and Site Replication Service. This worked without any trouble, but fails when added to the larger job that backs up the entire Exchange Server. I'm not getting any error messages anymore, either.

You'll probably find you can run a successful interactive backup of your server - that might keep you going until a real solution arrives.

I asked CA about it, but their suggestion wasn't very helpful...

I'll come back if I find out anything in the meantime.

Jake

Also, how do you see the site replication service? In the manual, I see there's 3 or 4 exchange items listed and with Exchange Agent SP4 v.2000 I only see the Exchange Server and Exchange Server Brick Level listed?

Thanks

The Information Service and SRS appear to me as separate objects under the server tree.

So I select Network\MS Windows Network\My domain\EXPDTS01, under which are the various drives and objects, including Exchange Server, Information Store and SRS.

I back up my targets thru there rather than thru Agents (except for System State). This was CA's advice, by the way.

I don't know why you can't see the objects - I'd have thought you'd see all or nothing, which might then point to a problem with the Agent...

Maybe someone out there has some ideas?

Jake

Hi, fastmustang,

I've tried a couple of things in the meantime while waiting for CA's people to get back to me - the one thing that worked without any trouble was running a backup from the Exchange Server to the tapedrive rather than have the ARCserve server reach out to the Exchange box.

In my case, the tapedrive is SAN-attached, along with the Exchange server and the ARCserve server and their resources, so the Exchange server can see the tapedrive just as if it was locally attached.

Anyway, I was able to create, schedule and run a successful backup of Exchange this way.

If your setup is similar, give it a try. If not, my apologies for holding out false hope...

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back