Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 12 SP1 E3895

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazsk8s

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
Just upgraded our backup software from 11.1 to 12 SP1. I've been having trouble with my nightly job failing on one of my servers ever since. It starts off formatting the tape and backing up data fine, but partway through the job fails with E3895 "Unable to position media". It seems to happen when it is moving on from one session to the next. Every once in a rare while it will actually complete a backup job, but it fails more often than not.

Hardware is a Tandberg Storageloader LTO-4 HH. I've updated the drivers within Arcserve to the most recent ones, and uninstalled/reinstalled Arcserve entirely, with no joy. I've opened a case with CA but am not too hopeful they'll actually get back to me anytime soon. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

If installed configure HP Management Agents to not collect SCSI Information.
If using the SCSI Mini port version of the controller driver disable the library and tape drive from within the OS Device Manager.

I don't have the HP management agents installed, so no worries there.

How would I know if I'm using the SCSI Mini port version?

depends on the particular one, device manager properties on the controller, Sys Info report, properties on the driver file itself or matching it up to the manufacturer's web site driver list.

Check the tape log for details on the error.

Actually I think I have it solved now. I ended up updating the firmware on both the tape autoloader and on the tape drive itself. Since the udpates I've gotten a week straight of good backups which just plain did not occur before the updates.

Thanks for your replies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back