Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 11???

Status
Not open for further replies.

klklkl

MIS
Jan 20, 2003
US
Anyone tried out Arcserve version 11 yet? Anyone dare to put in a production environment anytime soon?

Last I heard, you could download a trial, but can't purchase it yet. That may have changed by now. All I can say right now, is that the outward appearance looks a lot like v9, but I haven't worked with it enough to say more than that.

OK.
I noticed that they have part of the web site set up and I grabbed a few of the doc files they had on line.
Looks like it will have some nice enhancements. I have v9 right now and our "software assurance" should get me ver 11 for free.

No real 'must haves' because the v9.01 update for ARCserve 9 added real support for Windows 2003 server. It has:
- more and improved command line options (especially tapecopy)
-'preflight checks'
- multistreaming (4 clients max at a time)
- easier configuration of remote locations for storing backup to disk data
- global scratch set for rotation jobs
- job redirection (when a job fails because of bad media another tape can be used)
- improved reporting and an extra 'report writer' that can be customized
- an extra feature on the exchange agent (premium add-on) that can do document level backups and restore (the former agent could only go up to folder level). This add-on is also capable of creating new mailboxes and users.
It also has an improvement for the database which puts the catalog files in a seperate directory instead of merging them into the database to improve database performance but I couldn't find out its functionality yet because the database still grows as it did when you turn it on.

regards

I justed talked to my Computer Associates sales rep yesterday. He was really pushing v11. I told him I didn't think it was out yet. He says it's been out a month and that CA is using it for their own stuff. So, if anyone out there is using it, I too am interested in your feedback.

Thanks,
Debi

I downloaded the trail. But I have not put it on my server. I guess I'm not the only one that is scared to install it. CA had a web conference yesterday and version 11 looks good. I got pricing from my CA Rep and from my REP @ zones.com. Zones price was a little lower than CA. I also heard that the support is better now (better than the email support or the $95 per call.) I will install it Monday on one of my servers that has v9. If it doesn't work then I give up on CA.

I have installed the full version on a Windows 2000 (Sp4) server and it is performing flawlessly.

I have it on 5 boxes - 3 W2K SP3 and 2 Windows 2003. All installed perfectly, 1 was a clean install, the other 4 were upgrades from Arcserve 2000. Jobs and DB seem to have migrated flawlessly.

No option purchase was needed for a single drive autoloader - Big plus. Was able to backup 3.7 GB a min over gigabit network to SDLT320 drive ;)

It it true that all the version 9 options will work with V.11?

I have it installed on four of our backup servers and so far have been happy with it. There were a few growing pains however. All the v11 servers were upgrades from v9. I ended up having to completely wipe out all the databases in order to get it to work properly. After I did that we're backing everything up great.

One question: For those who are currently using v11, has anyone tried the Multistreaming? I'm curious to here if its actually speeding up the backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back