Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve 11 back up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevken

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
GB
I am using arcserve 11 with windows server 2003. I have one DAT tape and one DLT. I can back up perfectly using the DAT tape. If I use the DLT to back up the same files I get E6304 error and unable to write to media. If I take DLT tape to another server and use windows back up it works fine. If I use windows back up on the main server it fails instantly.

I have tried various things that I read on forums such as disable the tape device and removable storage service but still the back up fails. Some times it will write 30 or 40 MB and fail using arcserve but nothing is written using windows back up.

I am at my wits end with this - please help!

TIA

done that but even from a DOS prompt I get access denied

After trying the above - the database service wont start or stop and is in the process of starting, showing as grey in the GUI.

Has there ever been a bigger pile of mince than this?

DId you try rebooting the server ?

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Yes I had to reboot the server to resolve that issue but why are there so many issues. Why cant I rename the log folder?

Why do the back ups work for 2 or 3 tests runs then the next time you go in the application hangs?

its one thing after another. We have version 9 running on another server with no problems but this is ridiculous.

Thanks for all those who have took time to offer assistance btw

Hi,

If you are not able to rename the log folder,Iam 100% sure
that it is because of the process igateway running in the
taskmanger as it might be holding that.

Simple way to rename that :
Download the utility unlocker:

Once downloaded, run this exe file....Go to the log folder
right click on it >>>click on unlocker
you would be able to rename that.

Cheers

Stevken,

It seems clear you have database corruption now, which is why you continue to get recurring problems. Take a a look at this document which is a general primer on all things VLDB related and includes links to documents which detail how to fix DB corruption (not just the symptoms, which is what you've been advised to do so far):

This document may also tie up with some of the symptoms you are seeing, hanging at 99% etc.

Can't see why deleting the \log directory would make the blindest bit of difference to this issue, but I am always willing to be enlightened :)

BTW the reason the manager hangs is that it is trying to contact the DB in a lot of the screens to populate information, and hence if the database is hung up your manager GUI will hang also when it tries to connect to the DB.

Good news! Finally after apply fix after fix the back ups and logs are now working (touch wood) 100%.

Many thanks to the guys who assisted with offers of help and for their patience. This has to be one of the best if not THE best forum available.

cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back