Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe 11.5 SP3 Disaster Recovery Option Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhinkel

MIS
Sep 8, 2006
US
I am testing disaster recovery of a small (16 GB) W2K3 SP1 test server and am finding the recovery is taking 6 hours. It takes about 25 minutes to do a full backup so 6 hours seems like a lot of time for recovery. I suspect the latency is caused by the ASR process setting the NIC to auto-detect and the switch ports being set to 100/full. The network does not belong to me (it's a federal network) so I have no control over the switch ports. I found an article by IBM (see link) which tells how to set the NIC on the ASR machine to 100/full but suspect the change is not dynamic as it does not affect my restoration time. Any idea on how to effectuate the change in-stream?

I was just about to do an eval of the DR option as I have about 100 systems using std ca backup. Any opinions out there from the field? Is it a feasible bare metal restore solution?

to dhinkel
Are you use network-based restore? What option for this necessary? How it performed? Thanks!

sorry for my english

First off, a six hour restore of this turned out to be somewhat fast. I went to do a normal tape restore of the same server and it took 10+ hours.

Perek,

Yes it is a network-based restore. We purchased the Disaster Recovery Option when we bought ArcServe 11.5. We also purchased the Windows Server Client Agent which allows backup and restoration of remote servers.

How it works is ASR files for the server are created and saved/updated after each backup. In the event of a failure, you need to copy these files to a diskette. The server needs to be booted using the original bootable OS CD and, during the OS setup routine, You need to press F2 when prompted to invoke the Automated System Recovery (ASR). Then you need to insert the diskette when prompted. You will also need the BAB CD and be sure the correct backup tape is mounted on the backup servers tape drive. The disaster recovery wizard opens. You select the backup tape device and sessions you want retored and the software does the rest. However, as noted in my original post, it seems to take a long time. We will be looking at faster restoration options like Bare Metal in the future.

Thank you so match! But I not completely understand following:
1)How your tape device connected? In my case is located on backup server and joined via SCSI controller (however I need recovery another server).
2)BAB CD is BAB installation CD? I'm right?
I suspect that network card driver must be installed before network-based recovery. Have you any links or docs to related subject? sorry for my importunity :)

1) Our drive is SCSI attached to a server other than the one we were recovering in our test, much like your scenario. Part of the disaster recovery files that are used in the ASR recovery must already include the server name, session and instance information as I do not recall having to enter that information.

2) Yes the BAB installation CD.

3) Unless you have some funky NIC card, the Windows part of the installation and recovery loads generic drivers. I did not have to specify or load network drivers in my test. However, there is a method to do this if you do not have a somewhat standard NIC.

The documentation for this DR Option process is on the CA web site at however, you need to enroll before you will be able to view it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back