Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe 11.5 Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm2k

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

We have Arcserve 11.5 Running on Windows 2003 in a Compaq TL891 Libray, the libray has a faulty drive, I replaced it and the replacement drive turned out to be faulty also.

Before we replaced the drive the backups were working fine, I configured the backup for two tapes again, discovered the new drives had problems, and so configured it back to one drive again.

However since then I have not been able to get a proper backup to work. The faulty drive is not listed in the library in Arcserve and is marked offline.

The backup will start to run then fail half way through with:

E3719 Unable to write to media. EC=Hardware Error
It is the first tape in the slots it is saying is failing.

Other times it will report cannot find Media x (Even thought it will of loaded it into the drive).

Can anybody offer any suggestions?

I'm still learning my way around Arcserve, so please be gentle :)

Hi, thanks for that but after playing around further i now have the server reoprting C3703 Unable to open media EC=TAPE NOT FOUND.

Even though it is there??

Did you work your way thru the document? It should help you to narrow down where the problem lies.

Yes I did thanks :) looking at the logs it reports:

[02/09/2006-15:05:58 ,1,0,0,0,-1,2,1,0,0] E6084 Drive hardware error - servo or sensor [ABSL:3000 CMD:A5h]

[02/09/2006-15:05:58 ,1,343,0,0,-1,2,1,0,0] E6500 Client connect to tape failed.

:(

So you disabled the drivers, used new tapes, checked scsi termination and cabling, made sure the library/drives were setup and auto-assigned correctly, deleted the tape engine key, re-ran inventory after changing tapes, ensured the server was patched up, checked and fixed the database right ?

I have followed the document through, the only problems I have is, where you go to RMS under Device Configuration instead of displaying the usual two drives with red ticks it says No Devices Detected! I have disable the drives in Device Manager though.

Also How do i fix the database?

If all of this still suggestions given so far still don't help then it seems likely there is some component or cable/link internal to the library that is faulty.

Thanks for all the advice vschumpy, I get playing and trying different combinations yesterday, have managed to get it starting a backup, one is currently running now, just waiting to see whether it will complete or fail now :)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back