Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserv 2000 Database considerations questions...?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwichman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I notice during install one can specify an MSSQL Database to use for the Arcserv DB. What are the pro's and con's of doing so? Can it then grow larger then if you just go with the default Arcserv database? Or is it just meant as a central DB for multiple arcserv DB's (in which case why not just make the other Arcserv installs point to a single Arcserv DB instead of bothering setting up MSSQL?)?

Appreciate any comprehensive feedback on the subject.

Hey,

If you have SQL on the network i would suggest you to change the arcserve local database as SQL. SQL has it own database utilites which can fix the problems automatically.
SQL database will support till 16 Million records.

Its easy to manage the SQL database.

You cannot have a VLDB database ( ARCserve default database ) on a remote server.

Follow the URL to maintain the SQL database. I got this URL & advice from one of the support Technicain a long time back and its working fine...

There are few Issue like when ever you try yo expand the restore info . it takes a long time...

DatabaseBaba

Hmm well actually yes you can install arcserv on 2 machines and have 1 of the two use the other as it's database. I'm doing it!

Whether SQL has it's own DB utilities is of little interest to me if it also comes with a pricetag (setting up another server and paying licensing for that SQL server for this purpose).

16 million records? Is that more then the Arcserv2k database can handle? I'm not sure what the max is for ARcserve's DB but admit capacity may be the only real benefit to using an MSSQL DB.

It depends on your environment, if you've only got a couple of servers to back up I don't see much point in using SQL. Apparently though it scales a lot better than the Raima DB so if you're doing centralised DB and have a large/complex environment then consider SQL.

Mind you at least the SQL DB utilities work which is more than can be said for some of the Raima ones...

If your Raima database grows larger than 2GB, then SQL is the way to go. Our database issues have gone to zero since moving to SQL server. Just make sure _all_ of the patches available are installed _before_ running SetupSQL. There were changes to stored procedures that only get installed when SetupSQL is run. Do not choose SQL as the database for a fresh install.

For the slowdown in the database, do not update the statistics on asdb. There seems to be a problem with that.

Hi there,

If you run the DB on SQL 7/2000 server a good tip is to start the sql profiler - do some regular task (browse for files, backup files aso) - and then go for the Index tuning wizard which will really improve the speeds.

We used VLDB for quite some time and ran into alot of problems - the bigges one was that a check, fix, compress took almost a week (and a technote from CA suggested that it should be run every 2 weeks) where we could not take any backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back