Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archiving problems following R4.6x to R5.05 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronp

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
US
Two major problems following upgrade:
1. Drag and Drop (or "Archive Selected Documents") archiving does not archive to the appropriate folder, so archived documents are only accessible from the All Documents view.

2. Duplicate folders are created in the archive database, sometimes with only newly archived messages in one and original messages in the other; and sometimes with all original documents visible in both folders.

Lotus sent us a script that changes the modification date for all the folders in the server mailfile (which is where they say the problem resides), but we have not had success running it.

Has anyone seen this, and more importantly, come up with a decent fix or workaround?

Thanks.

Ron P.

Hi, Ron, We had ongoing problems with archiving in R5 for months; then our administrator added a time-stamp to the "Inbox" view about a month ago, and voila! The problems seemed to (largely) disappear. Once in awhile, Lotus refuses to properly archive a folder and, when this happens, we were instructed to select the folder in the "Mail" view (not the Archive) go into "Actions" --> "Folder Options"--"Design," and simply SAVE the design: -S or "File"-->"Save."

The problems seem to have disappeared entirely. But note that I very carefully say, "seem." I hope this helps.

Baylee,

Thanks for the response. The time-stamp on the "Inbox" makes sense based on a Lotus TechNote I came across last week. It states that the cause of the problem has something to do with the 'last modified' date for folder design changes being out of synch. The TechNote had a script which, when run, identifies folders within the server mail file and changes the 'modified date' on each folder.

Another workaround given in the same TechNote is to change the System date, follow the steps you mention above, then change the System date back. I had opportunity to try each of these 'fixes' over the last week with no success. Both procedures ended up creating duplicate folders in the Archive mail file, so we're left with just as much work moving messages and deleting the duplicates.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that the "Time-stamp on the Inbox" is a 'proactive' fix, and I'll forward it to our Notes Admins.
We're about 1/2 way through a 10,000+ R4.x to R5.05 upgrade, so if it works we'll save a ton of time!

Thanks much for your response and recommendation.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back