Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archiving old MS Access records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnetar

Programmer
Sep 22, 2001
GB
Afternoon folks!

I need some advice/would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, regarding the following topic, please:

We have a lot of old MS Access (97 & 2000) databases, (some of which have sql server 'back-end' tables).

The MS Access software is to be superseded by other software sometime in the future. However some users have requested access to their old historical records, .

Can anyone suggest the best way fwd to approach this please?
We need to:

(a) archive the data initially (taking into account the relational design issues, etc) &
(b) subsequently be able view these data/records.

Any suggestions, links, etc, - would be gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Magnetar

[atom]

when you say superseded, do you mean a new application will be used or do you mean the data being stored will be changed as well?

if the former, then don't worry since the data will all still be there, but maybe using a different engine or formatted differently or something, but you should still be able to get at the data.

if the latter, then you will need to backup all the current data in all the relevant databases, preferably maintaining the schema and then just use this backup to retrieve old data.

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

To Crowley16

Hi, many thanks for your quick response. The data from each system will not be altered.

I really need some advice on the best way to:

(a) archive the records & then:

(b) view the data/records at a later date (after the removal of MS Access 97 & 2000 software, including all run-time installations).

Can you or anyone else recommend some software/app'ns or other approach that could be used to implement this set up please?

The ideal would be:
(a) to have some sort of set-up such that the data/records pertaining to each former app'n can be stored at a central location, and
(b) then each 'application' (i.e. set of data) can be accessed via a designated front-end.

Sorry if this sounds a bit simplistic, but I've no exp within this area, - have just been tasked with finding out as much info' as possible.

Would be extremely grateful, if anyone could help by way of links, archiving expertise, etc.

Many thanks in advance guys!

Kind regards

Magnetar

[atom]

The data from each system will not be altered.

so you're saying the old data will be integreated into the new system?

then surely the old data will be able to be viewed from the new system, just report on older dates...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Hi once again folks (& thanks Crowley16 for your response).

Okay, let me try & explain my requirements a tad simpler
(- just seeking some information at this stage, to begin with, as am not a 'data-archiving' expert, so to speak!).

What I'm asking/trying to find out is:

- What systems/methods are available for simply viewing old (MS Access) records/data?

- The data will not be altered in anyway.
At this stage I'm interested in finding some information on a method/system/application, etc, - to which the data can be migrated to (i.e. archived), & to which the users (if required), can have access to at sometime in the future.

Many thanks in advance (& for patience!).

Kind regards

Magnetar
[atom]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back