Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archiving in Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKinghan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2001
GB
Hi All,

when an Exchange client says yes to a request by the Exchange server to "autoarchive" their mail, where does the mail archive to and how do we get it back?

Thanking you in advance.

Paul

On the client (assuming Outlook) go to Tools, options, auto archive and set the file location.

Never had to recover an archive but the instructions are in the Outlook help.

The archived file is a normal pst and you can set it up and open it like a normal pst.
Kuria surrounding yourself with dwarfs does not make you a giant.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies but I was aware of both your ideas. When I look at the Private Information Store -> Mailbox Resources for a particular person's mailbox size it may say 19MB approx but when I try to export their mail to a pst file it tells me that not all mail was able to be exported and the pst file was only 900 KB approx. This tells me that it's not picking up all mail from the private information store. The way to get around this is to, within Outlook, choose Edit -> Select All then go to File -> Open Selected Items. This will open every single e-mail in a particular inbox allowing them to be put into a pst file. I hope I have made this clear however there must be la less drastic, more easy way of achieving this!

Paul

If you have the necessary rights, I would use EXMERGE.EXE. It is more configurable and easier to use on multiple mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back