Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archiving by Open Text, Document Access by Open Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapot

Technical User
Apr 6, 2010
US
Hi, I would like to learn about legacy system archiving using Open Text and SAP Document Access by Open Text. Any help/documentation is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

There should be some good documentation of how it works on the KC, am sure that your OT Account Manager can provide some slides or a demo etc for you.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

There is plenty of public documentation at To cut thru the chase and the technicalities are like this sorry I am not well versed on SAP but I do install/configure/develop OpenText products for a living.
Step 1-The SAP basis team installs archive link which is the pre-cursor to any third party software like OpenText LES/LEA or Documentum or FileNet.This is a SAp basis operation
Step 2-The Livelink/Archive server team stands up livelink and the archive server which are boxes,webservers and databases.Typically an easy thing for me because that is what I do.
Step3:Typically a SAP/OT archiving consultant creates the connection between the two systems and transfers knowledge to the organization(There is very little public know how on this)
Step 4:SAP access control is done
Step5:LES access control is done
Step6:Doculink if needed is done on the SAP side
Step7:Org decides if RM link is optional or not,if it is then it is installed on the SAP side by the Basis team,Enterprise Library types on the livelink side.

DO NOT THINK THE PROJECT IS SELF DO ABLE.IT IS MY EXPERIENCE IT IS NOT.THERE ARE SO MANY MOVING PARTS TO THE ARCHITECTURE SO I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BUDGET FOR SERVICES FROM SAP OR OT OR ONE OF THEIR PARTNERS WHO DOES THIS.You will need a pool of SAP Basis people,SAP functional people and livelink people to pull this off.

At the end of the project what you will get is

User in SAP GUI can send documents into archive and view them in livelink.
Livelink can use its built in RM rules to kill unwanted documents.
On the same line enormous amounts of the SAP database(terrabytes) can be offloaded so the SAP servers will perform what it does best,lots of transcations...

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

Thank you for the replies.
appnair your reply is interesting. I am interested in Step 3 and onwards. Is any document (like step by step guide) available?
All documents I found were high level information about Open Text.
Thanks in advance.

There is OT training for many of these in the list.I beleive there is even a checklist of operations (I belive it is called blueprinting at SAP and OT) that I kind of hinted but none of them are usually done by the same person or team.I would not know how to educate you on this because it is not an easy architecture.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

appnair thank you for the reply. I checked with OT, the training I am looking is not soon. I am interested in knowing archiving with OT (not high level, kind of guide I am looking for). If you know where can I find these docs, please let me know.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back