Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archived Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango524

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
US
This is a beginner's question, but is there a way to have two databases, archive and live, and any transactions added in the live will go directly to archive. However, when transactions are deleted in live, they will NOT be deleted in archive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tango:

The way I approach this is to not actually delete records but mark them inactive with a yes/no check box.

Periodically, I will run two action queries. The first appends all records marked inactive to the history table (either in the same db or separate, depends on the application). The second deletes all records marked inactive.

Of course, you want to make sure that you run the append first.

Hope this helps. Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Cool! Is there a way to select thousands of records at a time and mark them inactive all at the same time? Thanks for your help!

Tango:

Sure.

Create an Select Query and set the criteria to filter for the selected records. Test to make sure you are getting the records you really want.

Change the query type to Update and in the Update To cell for the field you want to update, enter the new information.

Click on the Run tool (Big Exclamation Mark) to commit the changes.

HTH Larry De Laruelle

Thanks for the info. When I create my append query, I am appending some records in one database to another in a different directory. Both are password protected and I get an error msg, "not a valid password", when I tried to run my query. My password is a five character 3 digit password. Do you know what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Tango:

Sorry for the delay.

Are you using the same .mdw file for both databases?
Larry De Laruelle

Yes- but I just unset the password in the Archive database and everything worked out ok.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back