Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archive question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crycris

MIS
Mar 21, 2005
US
Since I am still learning Groupwise this may be a dumb question but I need answers. I have a user that has lost years of her archived emails. She only has archived email that goes back to 4-15. I was looking on her hard drive and found another folder which was called "Groupwise Archive folder" that looks like it is her origional archive because the folder was created when she got her new PCand it is over 600MB. The Archive location folder that it is archiving to now was created the other day. How do I get her old archive data back into her Groupwise archive? Do I just tell it to look in the old folder for the archive files and how do I get the data from the new file in the old archive folder? I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.

Connect to one of the archives and un-archive everything. Then connect to the archive you want to keep and let old emails re-archive. The archive path is declared in the client under Tools->Options->Environment->File Location.

Thanks. I will try that and let you know how it worked.

If the path to the users archive is currently pointing to the new archive folder just replace the path with the old archive folders location. You should then be asked if you want to move the current locations archived mail to the old archive folder. Or you could place the e-mails from the old archive folder into the new archive folder by changing the location to the old archive folder, saying NO to moving e-mails from new archive location. Then immediately go back in and change the location back to the new archive folder and then choosing YES when prompted to move currently selected archived mail.

In short, whenever you change the location path of an existing archive folder to a different location, GW will ask if you want to move the archived messages from the current archive folder to the new location. I personally keep several seperate archives.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Thanks alot. Changing the path back worked although it didn't ask to transfer the archive files form the other folder. Since it has only been a couple days I don't think she will have a lot missing. If she does I know where they are.

FarOut,
It's been my experience that GW will ask if you want to move the archives, but only if you're pointed at a new directory. If you point at a dir that has an existing archive, it won't ask.

Perhaps you are using some sleight-of-hand? Or perhaps I'm remembering the behavior of GW 5.5?

Thanks LawnBoy, I stand corrected. You are only prompted to move archived contents when selecting an archive location that is new. This type of friendly scrutiny is what makes Tek-Tips what it is, a great place to get answers/information to questions on many computer related subjects.
Later!

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Darn, I was hoping I was going to learn a new trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back