Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archive personal Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie131

MIS
Jun 23, 2005
CA
I have a personal folder that reached the 2GB limit and I am trying to archive it so everything before 2008 is in a new archive folder. When I set the archive to everything prior to 2008 it does not archive anything. I moved around the dates a few times but the only way I got it to move items from the personal folder to the archive folder is by setting the archive to today's date. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

note I know it is because archiving uses the modified date whether than the send/receive date. Is there a way to change that.

Techie131,
Nope, in Outlook you're stuck with using the modified date. Actually uses the more recent of either the modified or sent date, but that is an irrelevant fact since ANYTHING you do (barring opening it, that is) to the e-mail changes its modified date. I had several users ask why some items which were sent 6 months ago were not being archived within the 6 month time frame. I did a lot of Google-ing to find this info and there was nothing to the contrary of that statement.
Sorry, mate.
As to your issue, you'd need to check the folder setting for each subfolder in the PST. So long as it's set to archive to the default location (or any location for that matter), it should be able to do so. BTW, the default on folder creation is NOT to archive, so make a check on those folders.
Luck to ya!

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

In Outlook, select File, New, Outlook Data File. Name it what you like. Drag and drop what you want to save into it.

After moving data, right-click the new file and select close.

Whenever you need to access the old data, select File, Open, Outlook Data File and open and close it as needed.

I keep several of these files as my manual archives, and only use auto-archiving for the calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back