Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archive data of an ex-employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thief

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
hello,

is there a way to assign or re-allocate the archived data of any ex-employee with a different username to a new employee with another username in tsm ??

currently i do it by keeping the old username active..so that the new user logins as an old user and retrieves the data...this is a workaround and cannot be standard procedure...due to security implications and also having multiple copies of the same data ...

do suggest any ideas that you might have....

Thief................ ::)
(I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us .)

just change the dsm.opt file on the new employee's computer to the old employee's node name to restore the data to the new employees computer. When done, just change the new employee's node name back to what it was in the dsm.opt file. Note that you may need to change the password of the old employee's node in TSM so that the new one can access it.

hi there,

thanks for your reply....

the concern is bit different. in this case theres a central tsm client where the users log in and archive the data manually. we have the tsm since about 1998 and each user has accumualted lots of data going to several 100 gigs. retreiving the data to a disk wud be a tedious task..

more over its not about 1 employee...attritions do happen over time so its almost a continious process...its very much needed thats theres a good strategy to take care of this issue.. giving out admin access to the archive woud also have serious implications

iam however wondering how many of u might have this kind of problem and how do u attempt to solve it...

(I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us .)

I don't know how your organization is setup so this solution may not work. What you need is Active Directory, as much as I hate AD, or a network file share. Then when a user quits you can move the data, reassign the permissions, let the new user archive the data, and then delete the “old” data. Also you talk about multiple copies of same data, why are they archiving? Every time the file changes they'll need to re-archive the file. If there is such a need to keep old versions and track changes why not use a system like Rational? Or perform backups and set the version retention to 15 or 20 if you need that many. I don't think TSM is the tool to do what you want to do. Also how are you working one TSM client with multiple user accounts? Generally using one client to archive data would allow everybody to see anyone's files. I have to assume that you are somehow changing the login of the TSM client with the login of a different individual. You could consider not changing the TSM Client login. Then everyone could see everything.

Another point to watch for is that with all the archiving going on, your TSM DB may be excessively large. You may run into an issue if you ever need to restore the TSM db.

The most secure way would be to have separate nodes for backup/archive and have the client installed on all clients. The other benefit is that you can add schedules if you want OR the users can continue to backup their own data from their respective workstations. Then you will be able to restore using the method I outlined above.

ok... so let me try to explain the scenario...

the tsm client is a linux server....all the users log in to this server to do their daily tasks...everday we have automated incremental back ups with retention set to 3 levels.. that seems to be quite sufficient...

archiving is carried manually by the users due to restricted active disk space for the users.
e.g every user has been given about 50 gigs of disk space..when ever they approach the limit they archive and delete some of their data from the diskspace allocated to them and free up the disk.. whenever they require any archived data they retrieve it manually.. this process goes on almost everyday...

the data archived by a user is only visible to him but not to anyone else...

in a way having one server as tsm client helps to have a central location of having data for that particular department... file exchange betn active users is much easier in this way...

yes...the size of the db is large running in to few terabytes..but that shud not pocess a problem..

i am not sure how can AD help me in this scenario..

Sorry, I don't have any useful ideas for that scenario. But just as an FYI - I had a 500GB tsm db take 4 days to restore (LTO G1 mind you) - but geez... thats bad if your SLA is 8 hrs or even 48 hrs!! ;-)

You're using Linux like I was thinking about AD. It's central place for everyone to store file and yet is still segregated. Have you thought about granting the new user proxy over the old user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back