Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARC Rel 11 - SNMP crashes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgv

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
Hi, Im not sure what to do here.

Installed ArcServe Rel 11 a couple weeks ago. Seemed to go OK except that the SNMP service on W2K server crashes.

Backups working fine. Whenever you try to start SNMP though, it croaks. In addition, the server seems to be hanging every couple of days,

I may have made matters worse by uninstalling/reinstalling the SNMP service just now. When I did SNMP stared fine. However, when I stopped/started the ARCserve engines - SNMP crashes again. Now Im having a hard time getting exchange agents to respond from inside of my primary backup job.

Anyone ever run into anything like this? CA is telling me its not their problem, what a surprise. I have a feeling if I deinstalled ArcServe - the SNMP service would be just fine.

Any comments appreciated.. Cheers.

Steve

just bumping this up.

Verified: Remove reference to tasnmp.dll from registry (services agent parameter list) and SNMP starts just dandy. Plug it back in and restart service: SNMP dies. W2K SP4.

CA sent me updated device drivers patch:

which had no effect.

Can I reinstall Arcserve right ontop of itself, or would I have to deinstall/reinstall? I have to try something here.

You can reinstall right on top, but don't. It will retain current registry setting if it finds them pre-existing.

So take the long route, uninstall, check the registry and directory to make sure it was clean out (license info in the regsitry can stay), then restart the system, and finally reinstall. Before installing updates check to make sure all the services are stopped.

Hi,
My ARCserve is v11.0, and is running on a HP Proliant with Windows2000. The original installation was OK, but after reinstalled it, SNMP got corrupted.
Removing reference from agent list is fine, but drastic.
Tried uninstalling, and almost all references seem to have been automatically removed from registry, so I could not make any corrections.
Then I took a look what is happening when SNMP starts. The immediate breakdown of the service is due to a mis-spelled path, that the service tries to open: 'C:\WINNT\system32\"C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\CSTool.dll'
Very funny!
Then I browsed through the registry, but could not find a particular place where I could make a correction for the path - I don't know where it comes from...
The good thing is that SNMP tries to open this dll from each and every locations in %PATH%, including C:\WINNT, and C:\WINNT\system32.
I tried adding C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup to the %PATH%, but no success.
Then I copied CSTool.dll to C:\WINNT, and finally it works.
Note that I did not check if SNMP is completely operational in ARCserve, but anyway it seems to be OK!
Please tell me about your findings!
Cheers
Zsolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back