Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APS Shuts down Every Night 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordhowe

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
AU
We have Seagate Info 7 MR1 with a single APS and several report servers on other machines. The system database (SQL Server 7)is located on one of the report servers.

This has worked OK for seven months but in the last few weeks the APS has shut down regularly during the night, at a time that seems to coincide with a back up of the system database. The NT event log error is "APS is shutting down, DBWrite Thread, Database is Down!"

Does this mean that the APS is losing its connection to the database and that's why it's shutting down ?

That is correct - the APS needs access to the APS DB or else it will fail.

Try shutting down the APS before the backup, then bringing it back up again after.

Cheers, Alan Eldridge
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Alan.

We've tried modifying the back-up to leave out the SI executables but the problem persists. We'll write a script to do that.

Tahnks again.

I too have this problem. Any idea how I can stop and start the INFO APS service from the command line so I can build this into the backup routine?

:cool:

If you are running on Windows NT 4.0 you can use something like the following

C:\winnt40\System32\net Stop "service name"

To start a service use

C:\winnt40\System32\net Start "service name"

You can create a .bat file and then run it as a scedualed task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back