Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apps wont run unless i use Run As command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markguttridge

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
GB
Hi
I've installed a couple of programs recently but they wont run when i try to start them, the only way i can get them going is by right clicking, choosing the run-as command and selecting "run as the following user" option, and then entering the same username and password i am already logged on as. then the programs will load ok.

Thanks in advance

I wonder (not with any real conviction) if these programs were installed when you were logged on as a Limited User and are now logging on as a Administrator User.

It does sound like uninstalling them and re-installing them as an Administrator might be worth a try.

Linney
Thanks for replying, i have only ever been logged on as an administrator, there are no accounts on the pc with lower rights than admin
Thanks

Does "Bcastner's link help or is this XP Home you are on?

What, if any, message are you receiving from the failed programs?

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

As an aside, if you are surfing as an Administrator rather than a Limited User you are taking an unnecessary security risk, this is because Limited Users and any malware they encounter can do a lot less damage to a machine compared with what might happen if malware has access to an Administrator's account.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

If it is XP home, then any users you create are not Administrator. They are admin equivilent. Have a look at the users and groups in computer administration applet in control panel, and make sure you are a full Administrator and not an equivilent.

Might help, might not.

Cheers,

Andy

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy (Monty Python's The Life of Brian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back