Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apps distributed via GPO 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bujitsu

MIS
Oct 23, 2003
AU
Hi,

I have added the applications to be installed to the GPO. I then checked that the application was distributed. But if the user tries to install the application it fails with insufficient rights.
Where do I need to add rights for the user to install the application?

Cheers

Thanks for the info.
But this does not seem to work for distributing exe files.
for example if I try to distribute Acrobat 7.0.

Cheers,

How are you attempting to deploy .exe files? Give us the exact details so we don't have to assume.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I created a .zap:

[Application]
FriendlyName=Adobe Acrobat Reader 7
SetupCommand=\\server\Applications\Acrobat\Version7\AdbeRdr708_en_US.exe
DisplayVersion=7.08
Publisher=Adobe

Created the GPO in GP manager. Pointed to the .zap file(User Configuration -> Software Settings).
Shared the directory on server.
Put the GPO in the AD container where the users are.
As a user I can see the app, but get the foillowing error if I try to install:
Access denied.
file: c:/Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat 7.0/Setup Files/RdrBig708/ENU_

Any ideas?
Cheers

.zap files do require admin rights and are a poor way to deploy applications. You should extract the msi (the exe is just packaging) and use that to deploy acrobat reader i would also suggest deploying version 8 as it's easier to set options.

To extract the msi start the install and wait for it to get to the first screen. Go to your TEMP folder in your profile and copy out the Adobe Reader 8.0 folder.

Just curious as to why you're deploying such as old version of Reader? 8.1 is the current version. It deploys great with an .msi file. I just deployed to 150+ machines over the weekend.

Take a look at
AppDeploy: Adobe Reader

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I was just testing old apps, then the option to uninstall the old app and install the new app via GPO.

Thanks for you help.

speaking of deploying applications.... has anybody been successful deploying Office 2007??? I have tried it quite a few times and I have not been successful... I have deploy other apps such as Acrobat, Java, anybody please help

I've deployed in testing with no issues. You should start a new thread though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back