Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Approach 9.6 hang with XP - Graphic related ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PappaD

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
GB
We are currently using Lotus Smart Suite (Approach only) version 9.6, updated with Lotus' latest patch.
We are using an NT 4.5 (SP 6.1 I think) SBS server, with a variety of workstations from 98SE to XP Pro.
We have an Approach database available through a network drive (Approach installed locally on the workstations).

The problem is this:

I have found that there are no problems using this database throughout the building, except on SOME XP Pro machines. Using these machines I can get into Approach and the database, but on attempting to access a certain screen, the scroll bars start flashing and Approach hangs.
Strangely enough, this does work on perhaps 60% of our XP Pro workstations, but shows this problem on the remainder.

I have identified that by going into compatibility mode in Approach (set resolution to 640 x 480) I can force it to work properly on all of the XP Pro workstations. Although for obvious reasons this is impractical.

Hence the reason I wondered if the problem might be graphic related. I have tried various refresh rates, colour depths and drivers to no avail. Only screen resolution seems to have any affect. We are using Asus GeForce cards (GeForce 2, 3 and 4, various models) almost exclusively and again I have tried varying the graphic card between machines.

Weird !

Has anyone else come across a similar problem, or does anyone have any suggestions 'cos I seem to be fresh out of ideas !

Are these machines setup with custome desktops? How 'bout changing the desktop to the Windows Standard to see if it makes a difference?[ponder]

Sounds like the old "redraw loop" that I have seen on some client systems.

This problem occurs on some video cards when part of the view (a field or repeating panel usually) is displayed under the right scroll bar. Moving those items away from the right side usually fixes it.

Replacing the video card can also be considered -- check the systems that work for video cards that will work!

Sue Sloan
XpertSS.com

Thank you both for your thoughts. I will certainly try the "default desktop" and let you know how I get on.

As to replacing video cards I've tried this, but since it will work on some systems but not others, both with the same Graphic Card and driver, I've given up on this avenue. Neither can I change the layout of the database unfortunately !

Again thanks for your ideas, it gives me something else to try !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back