Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apprehensive about buying RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

perrymans

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
I found some dirt cheap RAM (PC 2100 and 2700) at JCShopper.com. The PC 2700 is listed as Samsung, but the PC 2100 does not list a manufacturer. Is this something I should worry about?

It's worth my time to ask this question because of how DIRT cheap the RAM is.

Perry, it's a little known fact that there are actually only 4 or 5 companies that actually make the RAM chips, it's just tons of companies slap their name on them.I'm not sure how it works, but I recently read an article at zdnet, about some PC2700 chips that are actually just overclocked 2100's. Can't exactly vouch for the truth of it or not, but it might be worth your time to visit the site and give it a read. Plus, I have PC2700 in my machine and I got it pretty cheap you just have to check around. I'm new here, so I don't know if I can tell you the site, or if that's considered promoting.But, anyway, I hope I helped in some way.
[PC3]

You can buy dirt-cheap RIMMS if you like, but heed this warning.

The reason why these modules come so cheap is because the company might not adhere to the ISO 9001 standards. What does that mean? Companies like Micron and Kingston have been certified as ISO 9001 participants, meaning they spend extra money to test their products and produce consistent results.

When you buy 'el cheapo', you risk stability. We're not just talking about servers either. Trust me, it can make all the difference down the road when you're wondering why your system randomly locks up or reboots out of nowhere...

When buying RAM OF PC2700 variety make sure it is genuine PC2700 and not PC2100 that is overclocked. RAM Prices vary. Demand on a money-back compatablility guarantee. I think this is the standard guarantee for They often offer free shipping in the USA. I have 3 computers and 2 of them I ordered RAM from Crucial for. At Crucial they have a handy selector where you insert your make and model of computer, or your make and model of motherboard and they tell you what to buy and give you a list to choose from. There is no guessing!!! If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back