Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying your personal settings takes upto 15 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

niallo32

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2004
IE
I have a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller. Some Windows 2000 Clients are taking upto 15 Minutes to log into the Domain in the mornings, the message 'Applying your personal settings' staying there for the duration

The Client Event Logs give messages such as:

Application Log - Event ID 1000 -

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects . A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by this policy engine.

Windows cannot establish a connection to domainname.com with (0).

The Domain Controller Event Log gives errors such as:

System Log - Event ID 54 -

The Windows Time Service was not able to find a Domain Controller. A time and date update was not possible.

----------

I ran a Netdiag on the Domain controller and all seemed fine

I ran an Nltest on the Domain Controller and it found a Domain Controller right away

The Domain Controller clock is five minutes fast and any client that has problems logging in is also five minutes fast

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Seen this before. Make sure your PC has only local DNS server entries configured.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

By Local DNS Servers, do you mean Local within the Network, or local to the Client?

Our Domain Controller has a Public ISP Provided DNS Server as one of it's DNS Servers

Thanks

Your pc clients must be configured to query your DNS server, then configure your DNS server as a forwarder to your ISP's DNS

Thats what is in place at the moment, all client pc's (XP & Windows 2000 Pro) have two DNS Servers entered in their IP Configuration, both entries are valid DNS Servers.

On the Domain Controller, Under DNS Servers, I had a valid Internal DNS Server address and the DNS Server address that was provided to me by our ISP.

Is this correct?

When I try and fix the 'The Windows Time Service was not able to find a Domain Controller. A time and date update was not possible' error with

w32tm /s from a command line, I get the following error:

RPC to Local Server returned 0X0

No that is incorrect.

To define "local" I mean that your clients should be configured with YOUR DNS server and NOT the ISP DNS Server.

On your servers, the NICs should only list YOUR DNS server and NEVER the ISP server.

Open up DNS Manager and under properties click the forwarders tab. It is here that you need to enter the ISP DNS.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Did this DNS settings change fix your problem niallo32? I'm having the same trouble - but DHCP pushes out a local DNS server to all clients (not a ISP DNS server) so I guess our problem is something else. Just wondered if this fix sorted your problem.

Unfortunatly it did'nt fix the problem.

When I googled the error message, Microsoft was telling me that the users with the delay could connect to the Domain because of Group Policy - so I disable the Group Policy.

This was mainly specifying password length/complexity/etc

It works fine, so now I may re-introduce the Group Policy settings one by one

We run GP as well - we run a WSUS server that pushes out updates to every one - so I can't really just turn off GP.

Drats!

no it's set as the alternate dns server in tcp/ip properties.
Is this wrong?

Your domain controller should point to the internal DNS server only (most likely your domain controller). The Internal DNS server should have forwarders set up which would be your ISP's DNS servers.
Look above at markdmac's post on how to set forwarders.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back