Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying patches without restarting servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandhru

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
US
Hi,

I am an new admin. I need some guidance in applying windows patches without restarting the production server. please provide me some guidance in patch management in prod. servers

If the patch says that it needs to reboot then it needs to reboot.

Microsoft has gotten much better about having the patch know if it needs to reboot in order to be fully applied.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

2003 SP1 includes a new feature that allows binaries to be patched in memory so soon this problem should be greatly reduced. As for now as mrdenny says if it needs a reboot then it does.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

Yep people always seem to think having to reboot a server after certain patches is an MS only problem.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

When it sayd you have to reboot...you have to reboot. bottom line. IF you don't like it give Billy G a call. Nowadays there are a lot more patches that can be installed without rebooting but some still require it.

Sorry dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back