Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying master to pages (3-up consecutive) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crsIDIOT

Technical User
Jun 14, 2008
US
Hi, I'm very new to graphic design and am trying to create a trifold brochure. I'm using CS3 on a mac and am just learning the programs. For the middle section of the brochure, I have an image spreading across the first and second panel. I have arranged the setup as I want it in a "master", but cannot figure out how to apply the master to a sequence of pages. When I try to apply the 3-panel master to three pages, all that happens is the 1st panel of the master is applied to all three pages. (Obviously, I want each panel in the master to be individually copied to a page.) I'm sure this is a simple function, but I just can't figure it out.
Any help anyone??
Thanks!

...probably more appropriate to be in non-facing pages mode if you rnot already, this is found in file > document setup, and uncheck facing pages option...

...drag out your 3 page master spread into the pages palette in one hit...

...to do that click on the name 'A-Master' (or whaterver you gave called it) which will select all three master spreads, then drag into the pages palette, below the default page 1...

...you can delete the first single page...

Andrew

...also worth noting that with gatefolds (or trifolds) the inner folding page (panel 1 of the outer spread, left hand side) is always shorter in width than the page it folds into, usually by about 2 to 3 mm...

...if it's a concertina fold (Z fold) then all pages can be the same size)

...the finisher will also likely make the front cover 1mm wider than the back cover...

...but this all depends on how good your print providers are...

...so unless you have nasty fine borders that you want the same size, then either don't use borders at all or just allow for that shorter page in your design (if it is a gatefold and not a Z fold)...

Andrew

Andrew, thanks for your help. That almost worked, but there must be something wrong with my object that i have stretched between the first and the second panel. On my "master", it shows up on both the first and second panel, but when I drag the master down to the pages, only half of it appears on the first panel, and the second panel is still blank.
Any idea why this could be?
Thanks!

I'm not really understanding the problem here but anyway.

In your document settings switch of facing pages.

In your pages panel, right click (cmd click on mac) and go to "Master Options"

Set the number of masters to 3.

You will see 3 master pages in the master section of the pages panel.

Next, on the pages panel fly arrow, (in the pages panel, at the top right, the down arrow with the 3 horizontal lines).

Turn off the "Allow Document pages to shuffle"

Drag your 3 master spreads into your pages layout.

Delete the first page that was there.

...be also handy if you post a screen shot so we can all assess it better...

Andrew

I was going to but in a bit of a rush today.

I'll try and post some later on.

Step 1

Create a document with non-facing pages

step1ga4.jpg

Step 2

Right Click or Ctrl Click to bring up the Contextual Menu

Then Select the Master Options

step2vi6.jpg

Step 3

Note the 3 pages in the master section of the pages panel, highlighted with red. The Cyan is the wehre the fly arrow for the pages panel for the next step.

step3iq4.jpg

Step 4

Using the fly arrow in Step 3 turn off the check mark beside Allow Document pages to shuffle. This just means you can put more pages on each spread (up to 10).

step4ei1.jpg

Step 5

Your document should now look like this. Note in the pages panel that the first page is still there. At this point you should grab the lone top page and delete it.

step5es9.jpg

...yes, my screen shot request was more directed towards 'crsIDIOT', but good work anyway eugenetyson...

...have a splat...

andrew

Thanks for trying to help. I feel like I'm very close. I've done everything that's been outlined above, but my problem is still this...

on the "master" i've created it goes...
First panel: left side of the object
Second panel: right side of the object
Third panel: Typed paragraph

when I drag the master down and it creates 3 consecutive pages, what it generates is...
Page 1: left side of the object
Page 2: BLANK
Page 3: Typed paragraph

Any idea why the right side of the object isn't appearing on page 2??

...no idea...

...what is the object in question? an indesign native object or something else?

...are you sure there isn't a white object above panel 2 covering it up?

Andrew

no white object in panel 2.

the object is a "placed" object from adobe illustrator.

...no obvious cause springs to mind...

...perhaps you can post a downliad ink to you indesign file so we can have a look...

...you can send it to your own email address then paste the link into a message o here...

...try with:

Andrew, I finally figured it out!!! Firstly, thank you so much for all of your help on this!
Here was my problem...
I had added the object to a page, then dragged that page up make it a master. I then created a second master that was my 3-panel spread. I then dragged the master with the object into the first panel of the 3-panel master. This showed up on the 3-panel master with the object spanning across panel 1 and panel 2, but really the second panel had nothing on it. What I did was make the original master with the original object a TWO-PANEL spread, then dragged each up into the 3-panel master. And voila!

Again, thank you so much for your help!!

...far too tired to understand your explanation, but congrats on fixing it...

: )

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back