Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying IE Filters to Pseudo-Elements... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaStripped

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
CA
Can it be done? I know that an element needs either absolute positioning or a CSS [tt]width[/tt] value specified in order for IE filters to display (or possibly other properties will work; I haven't played with it that much), but neither of these will work effectively for pseudo-elements (first-letter in particular). Does anybody have any ideas? I'd just like to be able to apply a bit of glow (very subtle, of course) or shadow to my nice, big drop caps for the benefit of my IE viewers.

JavaStripped
"I did *not* escape. They gave me a day pass."

You could try putting a span around your drop caps and applying the filter to the span, but there you get into the realms of modifying your content to suit one browser... And while that isn't always a bad thing, you might not want to start splitting content for different browsers when the difference is purely aesthetic (and, IMHO, negligible).

I guess you'll have to accept that either you need to modify your content, or you might have to lose some of your nice-to-have but not need-to-have effects.

Of course - someone else may know a neat trick to achieving it ;o)

Hope this helps,
Dan

That's the kind of solution I was trying to avoid to begin with... otherwise, what's the point in having the pseudo-elements in the first place if I'm just going to have to slap spans around them all anyway? And I'll be losing the effects before modifying the content... there's just too much content to deal with.
[infinity]

Thanks for the response in any case... I'll update this thread if I find a workaround, and hopefully others will do the same.

JavaStripped

Nope, won't work on pseudo stuff even with height/width specified (requirement for IE filters to work). :(

Yeah, doesn't surprise me. I've had trouble getting IE6 to do anything with [tt]:first-letter[/tt] styles on some of my sites. Code that produced perfectly good drop-caps on IE5.5 has stopped working on IE6. Someday I'll look into what's happening, it's a long way from the top of my to-do list however.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Well, it was a neat idea, and it's something I tried anyway (one of these days I'll learn to curb my reckless optimism), so I gave Chris a star for effort.
[2thumbsup]
Does anybody know when IE7 is due? Or even if it's going to happen at all?

JavaStripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back