Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying computer settings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This somehow needs to get wider distribution - I had this issue and by chance found this resolution (albeit on another site).

I'm registered with APC and didn't receive any notification, or else Anti-Spam ate it.

Surprised I couldn't find anything in MS TechNet either, as it affects Windows in a big way.

Actually this is a pretty major oversight on APC's part - according to the Sun tech note, the Java crypto they were using was ESOL's back in 2002. I've had no reason to upgrade PowerChute on my servers - as it wasn't - knowingly - broken and seemingly worked fine.

Wait till Update Tuesday hits for August and we'll see if any reboots are required. Could be a whole wave of folks needing this update then.

I just solved the same problem 10 minutes ago. I've been working on it for the past 2 days with 1 other tech. I think this APC problem was just part of it. I had much deeper problems before hand (customer installed sp1 on a dell 2650).

I just installed SP1 on a 2650 with Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 SP1 installed and I'm getting the "applying computer settings" message. After about 40 minutes, the machine finally showed the login screen. Logged in and now waiting again...Message above says something about a 2650...

Any ideas? Event logs don't have anything.

I eventually flushed SP1. Too many problems on this server and I needed it up and running. I've had pretty good success with SP1 on most servers except Dell 2650 and any server that has Citrix ! I know the solution for the ones with Citrix. I'm just waiting for the next maintenance window to apply it.

Thanks for this post. My backup wasn't working on a server and Windows Installer wouldn't work either. It would just freeze. Looking further I found that no services would start or stop on the server (A Dell 2650). I then found this article and sure enough it had the PowerChute agent (APC PBE Agent) on the system (installed before my time) and when I restarted the server in Safe Mode and disabled the APC PBE Agent (I didn't have the APC PBE Server) then everything on the system started working correctly. I don't use any of that APC stuff anyways so keeping the service disabled was a good enought fix for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back