Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

apply same header througout entire book file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnamonbun

Technical User
Sep 6, 2006
SE
Hi,
I stored a number of chapters in one place and now Im collecting my chapter files in book files. The chapter files have a two master pages with headers. Right side has the chapter name in the header and left side has the book name in the header. My problem is that the same chapter can be part of different book files so that means the header on the left side will vary. How would you attac this problem?

Thank in advance!
/Maria

Hi Maria, We often have same problem and we use different masterpages ie A-master, b-master and so on) for each chapter. So if you change masterpage header, only those pages with this masterpage will change.

Thanks but I'm not sure that's the solution to my problem. That would mean that I have to go in and alter the chapter file , for every single chapter in the book, each time I use it in a new book file. What would be perfect would be if I could use the same master page through the entire book but I can't find any way to do that.

Depending on the length of the book you can merge them into 1 ID doc by dragging the pages of a succeeding chapter (from pages palette) onto the open last page of the preceeding chapter.

If you do this, make sure to make a backup beforehand. When done, you can drag selected pages (chapters) from the new ID doc onto a new blank ID doc to get your chapters separated again, if desired.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks. I've allready thought of that solution but desided against it. I think it would be less of an effort just to go in an alter every single chapter file.

Thankyou!

However I've solved the problem with a script of my own, with a little help from a person on Adobe >> inDesign Scripting Forum.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it detaches each frame from the master though. Does everything end up in the normal dcoument pages and leaves nothing at the master page at all?

/Maria

No, it duplicates the item, both in the pages (in each page) and in the master. Just what happens with shift-ctrl-leftclick on an object of the page that belongs to the master.

Hi all,

I see this thread has been inactive for several months, but I am having the same problem. I want to apply a master page to each document in a book, and be able to edit only that single master page with changes and have them sync throughout the book.

Cinnamonbun (Maria), you mentioned that you have created some script for this. I was wondering if you would mind posting and sharing this script. Or, if nothing else, if you would please direct me to the site where you found help creating it.

Or does anyone else have script to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Lorrelei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back