Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applications try to re-install each time they are started

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne123

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
AU
I am running MS Office 2000 on Win2K on P4. All "critical Updates" to W2k are installed, also most relevant updates to MS Office are installed, although the problem existed before the updates were installed. All installation was done in "Administrator"; the problem seems to occur whether logged in as Administrator or as User. The package has been un-installed and re-installed to no avail. The problem is twofold:
1. MS Office products don't auto-start. For example, a file with .xls extension is clicked in Explorer, Excel tries to start, fails to recognise the .xls file, and advises that it (Excel) is trying to re-install itself.

2. If Excel is started from the Start\Programs menu, it tries to reinstall itself. Several "Cancel"s later, it comes up properly and behaves itself. This behaviour applies for the whole suite of MS Office programs on my machine as well as MS Media Player.

There are other products on the machine that are working fine - eg, Corel Draw, Nero CD writer, Textbridge, etc., plus McAfee FW4 and Viruscan.

Help! I'm out of ideas!

just leave it. i have the same problem. however when i do double click on the files, the appropriate programs load up. it is because i also have office 97 on the comp too. i rather use office 97 but forced to use 2000 on certain occassions. so just let it update or whatever it does. it only takes like 20-40 secz for me, i have a amd 1900xp comp. good luck.

Had the same problem a while back. Had to go to Microsoft and dl the latest Ms installer (*.msi) after I installed the file no more problems. Hey it's worth a try...cheers

Add the user name to the administrator Group run the office under that name remove the user from the administrator group. and this will solve your problem

Check the permissions on the \winnt\installer directory, you will probably find that no one has permissions. What you need to do is take ownership of this directory as the administrator and then give everyone full control. This should fix your problem.

Thanks, all.

Downloaded and installed the latest SP-3 for W2K, then had to go through the access rights settings cycle.

Voila! Fixed.

-- John E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back