Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

applications in the services.exe of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

yhan118

Programmer
Jun 16, 2003
PH
How could i be able to have my VB application run in the services concole of windows nt/2000/xp. Here as we know, windows could then be albe to run my application as a backgroud service then.

Thanks!

simple. create an application that can be viewed in the tray, after u minimise it the user wont know that it is running but u can see it in the services. all the files that run there either dont have an interface or are in a minimized state (not the usual minimized state)...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Which is significantly different from a service, although it is possible it will meet the needs yhan118.

If, on the other hand, it isn't then the following may be useful info:

The single threaded nature of a VB program makes it, according to Microsoft, unsuitable for use as a service and they don't advise it. That being said you could consider using svrany from the NT resource toolkit, NTSVC.OCX from MS (generally my preferred solution), or visit the Desaware, who also have an OCX to support VB service applications

vbkris, i'll try what you have advised... i already have searched for a code that could add my vb apps in the systray icons.

strongm, do i have to download this OCX?

Thanks for all your replies. Hope to hear again.

thanks strongm, i will explore these sugestions...

i will advise you of the progress as well. I appreciate your prompt replies.

many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back