Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application variable declaration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbode2006

Programmer
Aug 24, 2006
US
Can someone explain how the following is used?

SELECT C.[description] AS Application
FROM tbl_PMS_CLR C

Typical values for "description" are Wheel, Frame, Bumper

What is the Application type?

That is a column alias. It can be anything you'd like it to be.

Ex:

SELECT C.[description] AS [!]AnyAliasName[/!]
FROM tbl_PMS_CLR C

SELECT C.[description] AS [!][My Happy Little Alias][/!]
FROM tbl_PMS_CLR C

In your front end code, when you refer to columns, it is usually done by alias name. Without an alias, the column name is used. So... in VB, it would look something like...

debug.print RS.Fields.Item("Application").value

Since 'application' is just an alias, the values shows are really from the description column.

Make sense?

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Application just looked i little too specific to be just an alias. I have used aliases before but thought that 2005 may have had something different as it showed up in BLUE.
Thanks for the quick response.

If it showed up in blue and it is really an alias, rename it as it is a reserved word. Otherwise you are using an application object.....

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back