Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application stopped working?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachesis09

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
GB
Hi

I've just moved jobs and this is my first dealings with Citrix (Metaframe XP).

We have implemented a diasaster recovery site, as I'm not totally familiar with Citrix I've had to learn a lot as we are going along. We have 11 server, and decided to split them 6/5 across 2 locations for fault tolerance.

Servers 1/6 were the logon servers, so we shut down server 1 through 5 and moved them. Here's where the problems began; firstly there were issues connecting - I eventually pinpointed this as the metric servers had been designated as server 1/3 even though they served no applications so were not really in use. I corrected this and things seemed to be OK.

However, this was when the main problem hit, we only use Citrix to serve one application called 'Desktop' - now, after we had shut down the first 5, we had reports that people could log into citrix but had a problem starting the application. When using the management console we could see about 3 people logged on - so we quickly plugged server 1 back in at the new site and it seemed to sort the problems.

The weird thing is that the console reported people as being logged into server 6 through 11 when using it which ocnfused me; why would server 1 suddenly make such a difference, and how do I rectify it?

Thanks

Sounds like 1 may have been the data collector.

From CMC, if you right-click your farm name and go to properties, then highlight Zones and expand your zone you will see the server preferences. If it has a blue check and is bold it is the data collector.

I believe all you have to do is right-click another server and choose most preferred and within a few minutes it will become the data collector.

I have no formal training with Citrix, everything has been learned being thrown into a Citrix Admin role, so I may have some terminologies off but I hope it will at least point you in the right direction.

take care

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back