Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application needs Admin rights to run?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi all.. have a permissions issue. Running a small office of about 30 on Win 2003 server as DC. I have an accounts package (Pegasus/OperaII) that accesses the server via client machines. However the only way I can get this application to 'output PDF to Printer' is to upgrade the 'Users' to Domain Admins. Anybody have any idea how I can get round this? Have already tried 'Run As' command.. which did not work...

Any help gratefully recieved!

Nell

Try this as a test first. Try making the user a local admin of their machine.

If I am correct the application should then work. If it does, you just need to assign the user rights to the registry for the Adobe keys. No need to keep them a permanent local admin.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I Back up Mark...
Search the registry and apply more rights to "users" or everyone. You may need to apply more rights for "users" to the adobe file directory and the \common\adobe directory. I have not seen a program which can not be made to run for common "users

Thnaks for the replies chaps.. will have a bash when next in the office and let you know results.

The other thing that helps some applications is if the user is given elevated permissions on just the folder where the offending application is installed. We use PDF995 for printing to PDF, and if the user does not have full control of that folder, it will not work. Using this type of solution you only have to elevate permissions on one folder, rather than having to make users administrators on the local machine which, as markdmac said, ought to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back