Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application level Partitioning Mappings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSAP

Programmer
Aug 11, 2003
IN
Microstrategy allows partitioning of data at the application level (logical level). This could be of great benefit to the access the data for the application. But I see an overahead of mapping of the partitions to the physical data.
Has applicaiton partitioning been a real advantage for performance in the real world ?
How much % of data tables be partitioned at application level ?

In a project, i used partitions, because the enterprise had 5 datawarehouse, one for each region, why this, i don-t know, when i arrive, i can-t do changes... so i had to adjust to this situation... they didn-t want to create another table with all the information, because the amount of data in each table was huge, so using partitions this can solve, first MicroStrategy analizes which region the user belongs, and depending on the region, MicroStrategy choose the table partition that fill the requirements, and it didn-t run the query against all information....

this is an example...

most DBAs also like to manage their own physical partitions instead of "materialized view" stuff. For example one table per month. Why good for DBA? Faster loads, safe recovery, quicker incremental backups...

the MicroStrategy feature is driven by DBA requirements. Just ask your DBA if they have multiple tables broken out by certain column values. Often they do, and they present the SQL interface with a Union view. The view is of course going to be slower...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back