Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application '' Failed to Launch, Debugging ASP on XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford321

Programmer
Jan 13, 2003
US
I would like to send some info regarding Visual Studio 6.0 Interdev and Remote Debugging on XP Pro.

The error message when starting debug in Interdev

Application '' Failed to Launch

Cause:
Microsoft Debug Machine runs as a service.
The service points to C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VS7Debug/MDM.EXE

(*) I assume that this is the .NET debugger that installs with ????

Resolution:

With in the C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VS7Debug
directory.
Rename MDM.exe to OLD_MDM.exe
Rename PDM.dll to OLD_PDM.dll

then

Copy
c:\windows\system32\mdm.exe
c:\windows\system32\pdm.dll
to
C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VS7Debug

Visual Studio 6 will now start the correct version of the MDM which will allow you to debug ASP pages in Localmode.

I hope this helps!!

OMG! Am I glad I ran across this post. I've posted here before about the XP "Application " failed to launch" and found the solution to that on MSDN. But I had to switch back to Win2k and had the same problem after installing .NET. I've been working on this problem for 3 days. I've uninstalled/reinstalled everything twice and reset system security and about 1000 other things. I was just about ready to reformat my drive and reload.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Doug

I just wanted to thank you so much. I , like others, have been struggling with this problem. Your solution works. I would only add that you need to reboot your PC after copying the files.

You are a life saver.

Thank you again!

Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back