Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application exception error in Excel 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVFriederick

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2001
US
Can anyone help me with the following error message :

Application exception occurred:
App: excel.exe (pid=1112)
When: 3/20/2001 @ 13:12:09.005
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

I created the file using Excel 97, and it contains a series of charts that referrence data from another spreadsheet file. I would be happy to Email the file (385k) to anyone who may be able to help.

Thanks
Jim

When do you get this message? Does this happen every time you open or manipulate the file? Have you restarted your system and attempted to open the file again?

Yes, every time I open THIS particular file.

Yes, restarted system ..... also tried on 2 other PC's .... with different OS, same result.

I get the message while opening the file, I cannot see the file, and Excel bombs out.

If you want, you can send a copy my way. For what it's worth, I will check it out. The file may have been corrupted, which may not be good news.

dstech@core.com

if possible, send one to me also at:

kruskovac@crown.net

As I replied in an e-mail to JVF, the macros are from a previous version of Excel (4.0) that cannot be disabled. I can almost guarantee that there is a coding error in the macros. I suggested that he open the file in a previous version of Excel and convert it to the current version. Then, he should be able to disable the macros and debug the routine.

Thanks for taking the time to help.
I MAY have used another file (i.e. an older version) as a template, but I don't think so.

As far as I know, there were no macros within the file.

I tried one of those recovery programs out on the web last night. It showed the basic layout of the file (4 sheets in total), but no graphs.
I think the problem is related to the graphic objects within the spreadsheet.

I'm getting the impression it's time to start over!

JV: I'd be willing to take a crack at that file. Not too long ago, I was able to remove some Excel 4 macro stuff from a file that no one could see any code in. I don't know how I did it but it didn't take long. My email is:
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

I may have used another file as a foundation to start from, it may have had macros, in any event, they are not necessary. I was linking to a Crystal Report .xls extract, and summarizing data for graphical analysis. Sometimes Crystal puts in some weird stuff ? I saved the file and put it aside to come back to later.

I mainly would like to recover the file layout and graphical analysis technique (the data I can replace).

Sometimes ya just can't duplicate or replace a moment of inspiration !

Well, Jim, I didn't have any problem with it. I've done a couple of little things to it in hopes that you'll be able to open it. I'll delete the code entirely if you want me to. You let me know whether you can open it now okay?

Hey, if it does work, maybe it's just this Excel 2K thing. I've been able, with Excel and Word 2K, to open files others had difficulty with in 97.

Also, maybe you've just got some bad temp files on your hard drive. If you don't know how to clean it up, send me an email with PHDM in the subject and it'll auto-reply with a document for ya. (Anyone is welcome to do that.) I'll be out of commission tomorrow, perhaps even until Saturday, but the PC will be on for autoreplies.
techsupportgirl@home.com

Delete the code please and send it on. I checked Email tonight and nothing yet at 11:45 EST.

I'll recheck with someone here about Excel 2K. They said they tried using it but got the same error message.

Looking forward to giving this a go.

Okay, Jim. I just sent two separate emails of your without code: one zipped and one not.

Give it a go!
techsupportgirl@home.com

And, just to clarify--I never once had a problem or error. I've just set something else up, if you wouldn't mind testing it for me. Send an email to CleanHardDrive@Home.com (it replaces that PHDM thing I mentioned earlier).
techsupportgirl@home.com

I have just sent another copy, which I first saved down to Excel 5.0/7.0

Let's see how that works for you. I'm not going to be available tomorrow, Jim. Hopefully one of them works for you.
techsupportgirl@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back