Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Event Log is "invisible" after installing Exchange SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfster

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I've just upgraded an Exchange 2000 front end server running W2K SP4 from Exchange SP2 to SP3 and the application event log appears blank. It displays that there are 928 events in it, I can highlight events that I am supposed to be able to see and scroll up & down. I can also right hand click the invisible events and choose the "Properties option (I am told "there are no properties available on this object").

I can see my System events but only after I click on the System icon and then press F5 to refresh. I've tried re-installing W2K SP4? Any other ideas?

Cheers
Alastair

I'm having the exact same issue. How you come up with a resolution?

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem. I'm having the same issue except its my System Log rather than the Application. The Application Log is blank too but after doing a refresh you can read the entries. Thanks for any help.

Me too. Any answers? I can veiw any of the logs ONCE, go to another log then they'll all blank. Log off, log on, same thing happens. This began after a server restart overnight.

I've experienced this stuff, too. The event logs may have been corrupted. The following process fixed us up:

To clear your event log files, do the following:
Set the startup type of the event log service to "Disabled", reboot.
Delete (or move to another location) the *.evt files in %Systemroot%\system32\config
Set the startup type of the event log service back to "Automatic", reboot.

How to Delete Corrupt Event Viewer Log Files

Thanks jpederson

I'll give this a try. Interesting thing I noticed with the Event log service. The stop\start buttons are greyed out so I can't stop\start the service. Seems like the service starts at logon but freezes as soon as you look at a log. Might reinforce the corrupted log idea.

Let you know how I go on Monday after a restart over the weekend

jpederson

Thanks for the advice. Seems to have solved the problem!!

Thanks for the advice...I think I just solved the same problem without the two reboots. Resetting the affected log files to their defaults and then clearing the logs also seems to have fixed the problem.

wattsup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back