Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application connectivity in 2 Windows NT domain - Pls Try 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

giyer555

Programmer
Sep 8, 2003
IN
Dear friends,

My Q is little bit confusing so pls read it twice.

Through a Client PC in a Windows NT domain named XYZ I am able to connect to a MS Sql Server named alfairho
installed in another Windows NT domain Server named PQR
by using Query Analyzer as well as Enterprise Manager.

But while connecting the VB 6 application using ADO by using the following string i am unable to get connectivity.
I have deployed the application by the setup file created through Package & Development Wizard

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
cn.ConnectionString = "uid=;pwd=;driver={SQL Server};server=alfairho;database=inventory;dsn=, ,connection=adConnectAsync"
cn.ConnectionTimeout = 120
cn.Open

Pls note:-

Using MS Sql Server - Client Network Utility
The Network Library used is TCP\IP & the Server Alias is set to alfairho in the client from XYZ domain
& in the connection Parameter the Server Name is set to 192.5.2.99 (the IP address of the PQR domain Server)
& the port number is 1433.

Whereas the application runs fine for clients in the PQR domain.

Pls let me know whether any changes has to be done in the coonection string to enable users from domain XYZ to access the database in the Sql Server installed on domain Server PQR.

Thanx & regards

giyer

Is this server set to use NT Authentication?

Thanx for the interest shown Friend

Yes, the Sql Server uses NT authentication & i have also created a login in the Sql Server for the user from XYZ domain apart from the NT login.

Regards,

giyer

Have you tried connecting by setting up a regular ODBC connection to that server from the failing domain?

Probably will fail also but if it worked you might work around by changing the connection string to use the dsn.

If that fails my only other guess would be a firewall. Try telnet to port 1433 of the server IP?

Rdroske, you are up to the mark my friend. I am able to connect to the Sql Server through a dsn with NT authentication using the Network login id only if i make the following settings using MS Sql Server - Client Network Utility

The Network Library used is TCP\IP & the Server Alias is set to alfairho in the client from XYZ domain
& in the connection Parameter the Server Name is set to 192.5.2.99 (the IP address of the PQR domain Server)
& the port number is 1433.

I have also figured out that the problem exist only for a particular user. Having checked further I figured out that a gateway is being used in the particular user's pc. Actually there is no gateway required. If i remove the gateway the pc still chks for the gateway for connection. If there any solution whereby i can remove the gateway permanently from the user's pc. I hav tried reinstalling Windows 98 too but it does not work. Pls guide so that i can remove the gateway permanently & chk whether the application works.

Thanx & regards
giyer555

Hi!!! Rdroske awaiting ur reply

Regards,

giyer

Not real sure what you mean by gateway? A default gateway in the TCP settings? Or do you mean some kind of personal firewall software that won't go awy?

Thanx for the reply rdroske

The gateway mentioned is the default gateway in the TCP/IP settings. The gateway IP address was of a internet Sharing Server but the ISS no longer exist. I hav tried removing the gateway as well as reinstalling Windows98 but it does not work out.

Presently i am using a dsn to connect to the Sql database Server in the PQR domain. But while connecting using a dsn i am getting a timeout expired error for users in the PQR domain whereas it works fine for the user in XYZ domain where the gateway is being used. Pls let me know where the connection timeout has to be mentioned also how to get rid of the gateway.

Regards,
giyer

It sounds like you have no route from the machines in the domain where it is not working to the server in question. Can you ping the SQL server from one of the machines where it doesn't work?

If that server is not on the same subnet of the machines where it isn't working (I can tell it isn't) you need to have a default gateway on the machines that points to a router that knows how to route traffic to the other subnet.

Post IP adresss, subnet mask and default gateway for

client that works
client that doesn't
SQL server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back