Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Client machine setup and deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doobie67

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
US
My company is considering the use of a standalone J2EE application client for a system within the company. We are trying to assess how difficult it is going to be to intially deploy the application client and to also deploy periodic updates to the application client. I have several questions and would appeciate anyone's assistance and wisdom:

1. What is required to be installed on a client to run an application client that is accessing EJBs on a Websphere 4.0 server? I am currently able to to run my client by running the "launchClient.bat" file located in the \WEbsphere\AppServer\bin directory, but I can't seem to figure out how to launch the application client from an end-user machine that doesn't have the app server installed on it. Numerous searches on Google allude to the existence of a Websphere Appplication Client install CD, but I can't seem to locate any documentation of this on IBM's site.

2. Given whatever the answer to nubmer #1 above is, is it then further possible to create one JAR file that contains all the needed runtime and support software from #1 above as well as the application client (my code)? My motivation for this is that I want to use WebStart to deploy the application client and it appears that WebStart requires everything to be packaged into one JAR file. The end goal is for a new user to be able to use WebStart to click a link on a web browser and have everything needed to run the application client downloaded and installed.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back