Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applicaitons can not create startup short cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjr

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
Many of the applications I install on Win7 64-bit, Home Premium cannot create shortcuts in various locations to include the application folder under c:\Program Files (x86), along with the Start Menu folder. I end up with the program installed, but with errors about not having rights to create the shortcuts and empty start menu items. Like the application name is in the Start Menu, but none of the shortcuts to start the application are listed there.

Two work arounds I use are to find the .exe file and put it on the desktop or task bar and use it to start the application. Alternatively, if during install the application will give me an error with the folder name where it is trying to install the shortcut, and the alternative to Retry, I can go to that folder and grant full administrative rights to it and the install program can then create the shortcut.

I found a handy program that adds itself to the drop down menu when right-clicking on folders to GrantAdminFullControl and end up using it a lot. I thought that by running it on the Start Menu folder and the Program Files (x86) folders and all their subfolders, that I could get rid of this issue, but that did not work. Hope I did not screw things up by doing so. When that program runs the message is: The file (or folder): "folder name\file name" now owned by user "user name".

I logon as an administrator. My user name is listed as an administrator in the User Accounts in Control Panel and no other users are listed.

When in installing anything in Windows 7 or Vista, even if you are logged on as an Administrator, right-clicking on any Setup.exe and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option should eliminate a lot of your problems concerning access difficulties.

.msi, and .msu files, are a bit different from .exe files in that there is not a "Run As..." option, normally.

MSI "Run as administrator" Context Menu for Vista

Thanks, but I tried the run as administrator option from that menu, with identical results. I assume that is because I am logged in as an admin.already, and that option is designed for use when an admin. is not logged in, but has credentials to use when needed.

Your theory applies to XP but not the later operating systems. Administrators run with Standard user privileges in those later systems.

By way of a test see if your user (Administrator) can create a .txt file in either of these locations.

The Start Menu's user location is

C:\Users\usernamexxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ for the specific user.

While the general Start Menu used by most installers and accessed by all the users is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

The easiest way to access these two locations is to right click on the All Programs link from the start menu and click on Open, or Open All Users, for each location respectively.

ProgramData is a hidden folder, so you may need to set the Folder view to show hidden files and folders if you navigate to it.

If your user cannot create a file in either of those locations look at the Security Tab and the access permissions.

Use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings.

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

I was able to create text files (by right clicking and selecting New-Text Document) in C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and in C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, as well as C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

Are you suggesting that I "Use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings." anyway?

Thanks again for your help.

The Vista article applies to Windows 7, most of them do. You would only need to reset the security back to the defaults if there, had been, or still is, a problem with your user's access.

As you can create .txt files in those locations, how about if you now try to place (or replace) shortcuts from the programs that are having problems creating them?

With access permissions, a workaround (for me), is to add your actual user's username to the list of permissions rather than relying on it being part of the Administrators Group to gain access. You would only try that if your user was having access permission troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back