Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appleshare OS 9.1 to OS 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbohon

Programmer
Apr 20, 2000
US
I have an older CoStar label printer (XL model) which won't work on my G3 running OS 9.1. My thought was that I could connect the printer to my Color Classic running OS 7.5, then remotely access it from the G3. However, I've tried several different things and, although the label printer works well from the Color Classic, I can't seem to 'see' that machine from the G3 (or see the G3 from the CC).

First question I guess is if anyone knows of a problem in connecting these two different aged operating systems. If not, can someone give me a summary of the steps needed to make this happen?

Note that I've successfully connected my old SE/30 to this same G3 with no problems - but the G3 was, at that time, on OS 8.5 and has since been upgraded.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Can you tell me what you are currently using (or have used) to connect the two machines? Judging from the title of your post you are using AppleShare?

You should not have issue connecting the two OS's you mention here.

macgeneral

We're trying to use Appleshare (I'm a Mac newbie, my wife has used them since the Mac Classic days). Went into Control Panels - Appleshare and - File Sharing, did all of the settings on both machines. Connecting them through a phone cable on the modem ports and have told it which port to use. Both systems say that everything is on and waiting - but we can't see one machine from the other.

I'm a 37+ year systems analyst so the failure of something that is, on the surface, very simple is really grating on me <g>.

Any ideas/suggestions GRATEFULLY accepted.

Thanks!

Tom

Isn't ther a third party (or apple) extension called printer sharing. I recall I've used something alike when using my old LC with system 7.1 as a printserver. I think those extra extensions exist. I think I got mine from a Macbible cd.

Maybe somebody can aknowledge this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back