Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apple Safari 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue79

Technical User
Sep 27, 2006
US
I recently deleted safari from my system because it was acting funny. I do want to install it back because i did like it when it was working correctly. I went to the apple website to download it again and it only has a link for the windows version. Where can I go to download it for mac? I have the tiger version on my computer. Please help!!

Thanks,

Sue

Left hand column, at the bottom is a note about Safari 3.0.4 being included in the 10.4.11 software update.

Run software update and see if it is listed/installed

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

If you're a determined sort, you can search through the install disks for your machine and find the package file that contains it - you'd have to do a lot of digging, though.

I ran software update and it the safari update wasn't listed. I also notice that I have version 10.4.9 and when I run software update, it says I am up to date. Also when I run Itunes update 7.5 it says I am up to date on that but the version I have is 7.3.2. Is there a reason why it isn't updating?

Are you moving around your apps from their default installed locations?

i dont think so. where would I look?

The safarai (safari.pkg) install is located in:

Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages

You can get it by installing filebuddy (trial version available). After you have installed filebuddy insert the 10.4 dvd 1 and open filebuddy. Press cmd + F for FIND then select other and the DVD only for the search location now enter safari in name contains and search. Another window should open it should find 3 files the one you need is safari.pkg, now select copy from the icons at the top of the window and select desktop as the destination. You now have the safari install located on the desktop which you can run to reinstall safari.

Good luck

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

re: moving apps from their default locations and where to look...

When you mentioned that iTunes was misreporting update capability, I assumed that you had moved apps or installation log files that Software Update uses to determine what to update.

Having re-read the note about 10.4.9 also being recognized as being up-to-date makes me think you are either running Software Update through a proxy at an employer that has not updated its own respository on OSX Server or that your entire system is out of whack. If the latter, you may want to reinstall all.

i cant seem to find the safari.pkg on the disk. why can't it be downloaded from the apple website?

You can download Safari 2.01 here

A simple search on Apple's site turned that up.

I guess you can't download the latest version because they distribute it via Software Update. If your system is working properly then you wouldn't have a problem with this.

However, it does sound like there is something seriously wrong with your set up. It's probably best that you perform a clean installation, in which case Safari, and whatever else is broken will be fixed (and updated via software update).

--

what kind of clean installation do you think is best to use?

i notice when i try to install the safari update2.1 it says that it cannot be installed on this volume. It requires Mac OS X 10.4.2. Nothing seems to update on this computer. What do I do now?

Which version of OSX are you using?
10.4.2 is rather old.

Back up any important data.

Boot the machine with your system CD/DVD and perform an "Archive and Install".

This will remove the current operating system and install a fresh version from the system CD/DVD.

You will then need to run Software Update and get everything up the current versions (or as close to them as your system supports).

--

It says I am running Mac OS X 10.4.9. When I remove the current opating system and install a new one, will I lose all my files?

If you archive and install and do not do any kind of formatting then you should be fine.

However, back up any important data first as since your system is so borked I can't guarantee what will happen.

The installer will guide you through the process so make sure you read everything it says (twice) to ensure you know what is happening.

If you feel that you are going to lose data then stop at that point and make sure it's backed up somewhere off the machine (and that the backup works).

--

Are you sure you're running 10.4.9? It sounds very much like you're running 10.3.9 - which was the last release of Panther.

yes im running 10.4.9. I actually found the installation for the safari package and I installed it and it worked. The thing is now I am unable to read website because it has these weird symbols instead of letters? how can this be fixed?

Did you delete more than just Safari? It sounds like there was some aggressive cleaning.

A system restore is certainly ideal.

I once had that problem with multiple copies of Helvetica installed.

I removed one of them, but can't recall exactly which nor exactly what I did I'm afraid. But perhaps that could be a starting point for you.

--

If I do a system restore, will I lose all of my files? Do you have any suggestions on which type of cleaning that I do and how to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back